Old 2008-12-31, 05:09   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Max, let's hold off on the PRPnet server since we need to complete the range within a fairly short timeframe. It will take a little time for people to download everything and orient themselves to the new server software. Although that shouldn't take each person too long, I don't want to be derailed by any potential issues that there could be in the new software. Instead, let's plan on using PRPnet for n>352K after the sieving is done. As for running a server for this range, let's just use port 8000 that you've already set up. That was its intent.
Okay, that sounds good, especially in light of how there have been a few new issues that have cropped up with PRPnet as described in the PRPnet thread over at CRUS. Thus, I'm thinking that we shouldn't even consider setting up a second server until we've gotten things running somewhat more smoothly.

Quote:
Max, have I sent you the n=200K-500K file for k=1005-2000 sieved to P=1.4T? If not, I'll send it to you right away. Just let me know. Let's plan on loading n=350K-351K in the server to get that cracking almost immediately at fairly high speed. We'll leave n=351K-352K for manual reservations in n=100 pieces.
No, you haven't sent me the sieve file. As soon as you can send it to me I'll get 350K-351K loaded into G8000.

Quote:
Keep in mind that n=100 ranges will actually be ~70%+ larger than n=100 ranges on the 1st drive at the same n-range. That is about ~67% more k's plus likely 3-5% more candidates due to a sieve to P=1.4T vs. 5T.

I'll get the drive set up with manual-reservation files posted for n=351K-352K sometime in the morning between 6 and 8 AM GMT (midnight to 2 AM my time). Please plan on completing any manual reservation in < 2 weeks to make sure we stay ahead of the 5000th place prime. If an n=100 file is too big for you, you'll be able to reserve part of a file if you want. So that people have an idea of the size of the files, I'll post a # of candidates by each file.

One more thing Max...Please look on Karsten's pages and see who has reservations in the area. We already know about Thomas and I think Adam has a reservation or two in the area. I will PM them about the start of our effort. I doubt we'll impact anyone with n=350K-352K but don't want to give a bad perception if we are.
Okay, will do.

Quote:
Let's move the goal for completing sieving back to Jan. 20th. I should still complete mine by Jan. 15th-16th because I'll pull quads off of port 5000 to put on LLRing n=350K-352K. The 5000th place prime shouldn't be near n=352K by the 20th but we don't want to push our luck in that regard. PrimeGrid has really been submitting the primes lately.

Thanks for being flexible everyone!

Edit: Would it make more sense to use a server by Carlos since he has offered? I'm going to Vegas from Thursday to Wednesday. If we do that, we'd just use his server for this range and plan on using port 8000 for most of the LLRnet ranges for n>352K.
Hmm...well, we've already got G8000 set up, so that would probably be quicker to get started with. Not to mention that since it has a status page and automatic copy-off for its results files, so it will be easier to manage and quicker to process results.

Max