Old 2018-06-08, 21:54   #36
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

101101011010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
"Serge Batalov also verified it using Ernst Mayer's MLucas software on two Intel Xeon 18-core Amazon EC2 servers in 3.5 days." https://www.mersenne.org/primes/?press=M74207281
Not first and second half of iterations, but duplicate full runs?

I'd expect the n-parallel approach to work well with prime95/mprime since it is very common.
Yes, Serge's (and more recently, Anders') dual verify runs at different FFT lengths were both end-to-end.

Here is the current Mlucas file format:

o 1 byte for test type, numerically, i.e. 256 possible values, mapped to an internal table;
o 1 byte for modulus type, currently only Mersennes and Fermats supported;
o 8 bytes for iteration count of the residue stored in the file;
o ceiling(p/8) bytes for the residue R - i.e. maximally byte-compact, endian-and-FFT-length-of-run-independent;
o 8 bytes for Res64 = R (mod 2^64), which should match the leading 8 full-residue bytes in the above bytewise form);
o 5 bytes for R (mod 2^35-1);
o 5 bytes for R (mod 2^36-1) [these last 2 a.k.a. the Selfridge-Hurwitz residues, based on those guy's Fermat-number work, using a 36-bit-hardware-integer machine; SH also used R (mod 2^36), but that is just the low 36 bits of GIMPS' Res64];

After reading R, I directly compute the two SH residues and compare to the above file-stored checksums; this gives me an md5/sha1-style integrity check of the whole residue R, which the Res64 does not.

For v18, I am adding several new fields:
o 3 bytes for FFT-length-in-Kdoubles which the code was using at time of savefile write. This is so that if the code switches to a larger-than-default FFT length mid-run based on ROE behavior for the exponent in question, it will immediately resume using the larger FFT length on restart-from-interrupt, rather than resuming using the smaller default FFT length as the current release does.
o 8 bytes for circular-shift to apply to the (unshifted) residue read from the file. I include the shift-count-at-iteration-of-savefile-write because [a] the code will choose a random shift count at run-start time (i.e. since this is not specified by the Primenet server, it cannot be read from the worktodo file), and [b] it saves the need for taking an initial-shift value s from the savefile and computing s * 2^iter (mod p). I remove the shift from R prior to the savefile write, so in fact there's really no need to store s to the file (i.e. I could resume-from-interrupt using an entirely different random shift value, applied to R after reading it from the savefile), but for aesthetic reasons I like the idea of doing the whole run based on a single initial value of s, rather than as-many-values-of-s-as-there-were-run-interrupts.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2019-12-06 at 02:26
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote