mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Chess (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Vote Chess: Game 2 (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=18350)

henryzz 2013-07-07 12:50

Vote Chess: Game 2

Well the first mersenneforum game of vote chess has now finished. Now to think about the next game.
First of all who wants to play?
Do we want to try and keep teams as they are? Do we want to randomly select teams?

science_man_88 2013-07-07 13:38

[QUOTE=henryzz;345534]Well the first mersenneforum game of vote chess has now finished. Now to think about the next game.
First of all who wants to play?
Do we want to try and keep teams as they are? Do we want to randomly select teams?[/QUOTE]

I might be out of this next one because if it takes months I'll possibly be in school by then.

WMHalsdorf 2013-07-07 13:39

I'll be willing to play in the next one.

richs 2013-07-07 15:16

I had a great time and am willing to play again. I'd personally like to keep our team intact with the addition of another teammate or two.

henryzz 2013-07-07 15:27

[QUOTE=richs;345545]I had a great time and am willing to play again. I'd personally like to keep our team intact with the addition of another teammate or two.[/QUOTE]

I think that is what I would prefer as well.

Brian-E 2013-07-07 20:29

I'm keen to take part again too.

It's also necessary to have an arbiter again, and we should not take Serge's hard work in the first game for granted. Would you be willing to continue in this role, Serge?

Batalov 2013-07-07 20:50

I know that I am going to regret saying this, but yes, sure. ;-)

Brian-E 2013-07-07 22:34

[QUOTE=Batalov;345581]I know that I am going to regret saying this, but yes, sure. ;-)[/QUOTE]
Yessss!!
Thanks so much.:smile:

Brian-E 2013-07-12 10:39

Let's try making a tentative list, based on recent participation in this and other threads, of players for game 2.

[U]Game 1 players who will definitely play in game 2:[/U]
LaurV, WMHalsdorf (former Shaolin Pirates)
henryzz, richs, Brian-E (former Toxic Geckos)

[U]Other possible players:[/U]
Dubslow, Zeta-Flux, science_man_88, davieddy, bsquared

Any comments? Have I forgotten anyone? Can anyone from the second list be definitively moved to the first list which is still a little short in numbers? Can any completely new players be found and enticed into a team?

paulunderwood 2013-07-12 11:12

Please count me in, although my ELO would be poor :smile:

Brian-E 2013-07-12 11:32

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;346096]Please count me in, although my ELO would be poor :smile:[/QUOTE]
Wonderful news!:tu:
I wonder if the team captains will have a fight over which team gets which players as the enthusiasm surges and more people express interest.

henryzz 2013-07-12 14:12

I think to some degree it depends on the player. I suspect I would find it harder to work in the Pirates more relaxed chaotic environment. We could possibly do with someone who is used to playing attacking, expansive chess. I see a bit of what the Pirates are getting at when they say we were too cautious.

LaurV 2013-07-12 15:55

ye are really wanting that revenge match aren't ye? :razz:
methinks we can do it [URL="http://mylifeftw.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/dirty-tree-a-turd/"]tree against tree[/URL] (I had to look for this!) if we get a turd in our team, close to me and WMH ...

I will be gone for about 2-3 weeks beginning of August, so if we start before, then I don't know how we do it. Move in envelope? (like we discuss it in the tread, but don't post it public, until I come back?) Or do we better start it after? And take the time to make stronger teams?

Brian-E 2013-07-12 16:32

Are you inspired by Chris' reference to Irish accents [URL="http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpost.php?p=346066"]here[/URL], LaurV? (That reference was beyond me by the way, and Chris might feel like explaining it: I often need jokes explained, including Irish ones.)

A couple of points spring to mind from your post:
[LIST][*]We have three against three now in the very worst case now that paulunderwood has added his participation. I am hoping that bsquared will decide positively too: he was thinking about it when we last heard. And maybe science_man_88 can play until he has to start school? And davieddy expressed interest: can he join a team?[*]You are [I]not[/I] looking for a "turd" in your team. You are trying to [I]encourage[/I] people, aren't you?:surprised:rofl:[/LIST]By the way, I too am away for two weeks, starting 19 July. I'll be in Ireland. For the turd time in my life. With some limited internet access, though, in my case. I guess various people will be away in the coming weeks anyway: summer holidays for much of the northern hemisphere. If we can build up a healthy number in each team, then these individual absences ought not to matter. Even the team captains should be able to delegate their responsibilities to others in their team.:smile:

chalsall 2013-07-12 23:11

[QUOTE=Brian-E;346121]Even the team captains should be able to delegate their responsibilities to others in their team.:smile:[/QUOTE]

And you claim not to understand "the Irish"...

Here's mud in your eye, Laddie....

bsquared 2013-07-13 01:28

I've decided to give it a try - consider me in. I am really a beginner, so I will be an equal hindrance to either team :smile:. I'll let the powers that be decide where to put me.

Brian-E 2013-07-13 13:56

[QUOTE=chalsall;346153]And you claim not to understand "the Irish"...

Here's mud in your eye, Laddie....[/QUOTE]
No, I claim not to understand you.:smile:

[QUOTE=bsquared;346160]I've decided to give it a try - consider me in. I am really a beginner, so I will be an equal hindrance to either team :smile:. I'll let the powers that be decide where to put me.[/QUOTE]
Great news! I guess LaurV and henryzz, as the two captains, can decide between themselves who will take you and who will have paulunderwood.

Brian-E 2013-07-15 08:12

Here's an updated list of participants based on more recent developments. Any comments, corrections, and especially additions to the lists, very welcome as far as I'm concerned.

[U]Definitely playing:[/U]
LaurV, WMHalsdorf (former Pirates)
henryzz, richs, Brian-E (former Geckos)
bsquared, paulunderwood, cheesehead (all yet to be assigned a team)

[U]Possibly playing:[/U]
gd_barnes, science_man_88, Dubslow, Zeta-Flux

[U]Arbiter:[/U]
Batalov

Brian-E 2013-07-16 11:25

[QUOTE=Brian-E;346366]
[U]Possibly playing:[/U]
gd_barnes, science_man_88, Dubslow, Zeta-Flux
[/QUOTE]
Dubslow and Zeta-Flux have not been around for a few months now, but gd_barnes (explicitly invited to participate) and science_man_88 (doubt expressed due to school starting, but even if that does preclude you then you could still play at the start), could you both indicate whether you'd like to be included, and then maybe LaurV and henryzz can sort out the definitive make-up of both teams and we can start game 2.

Xyzzy 2013-07-17 09:21

Suggestion:

Put an "ad" in the lounge asking for interested players.

It is very likely that people do not know about this subforum.

:spot:

Brian-E 2013-07-17 10:13

[QUOTE=Xyzzy;346515]Suggestion:

Put an "ad" in the lounge asking for interested players.

It is very likely that people do not know about this subforum.

:spot:[/QUOTE]
You could help us, Mike, by making [URL="http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=17249"]this thread[/URL] in the lounge sticky.:smile:

Xyzzy 2013-07-17 17:12

Done.

henryzz 2013-07-20 18:39

I have pmed Laurv about sorting out who is on what teams for the next game.
The next decision is when we want to start.
Brian-E is away until the 4th August and I am away July 28th-4th August and August 15-24. richs is away August 2-15.
I would suggest starting somewhere around the beginning of August such the Geckos can start on our first move after Brian and I are back home. I was thinking I could discuss our first move with richs before the game starts. The same could be done when I am away later on.
Just to be clear I am assuming the Geckos are playing black as they played white last time.

How are the Pirates in terms of people being away in the summer holiday season? Are there any particularly bad times to start(like until the 4th for the geckos)?
How about the unassigned players?

paulunderwood 2013-07-20 19:01

[QUOTE]How about the unassigned players? [/QUOTE]

I am here 24/7 :smile:

LaurV 2013-07-21 13:01

Everything henryzz said (including the PM), works for me too. I may not be around beginning of August, for a week or two, and if we start before, I trust that my team can chose a good opening, assuming we play white this time, and assuming I can't participate in the first two moves, at most.

henryzz 2013-07-21 13:24

[QUOTE=LaurV;346880]Everything henryzz said (including the PM), works for me too. I may not be around beginning of August, for a week or two, and if we start before, I trust that my team can chose a good opening, assuming we play white this time, and assuming I can't participate in the first two moves, at most.[/QUOTE]
I would suggest discussing your opening with one of your team before you go like I plan with richs.

In terms of the teams:
We decided to put cheesehead on the Pirates as he seemed the most experienced of the 3 unassigned players.
Of the other two, unless they have any preference, I claim paulunderwood for the Geckos simply because he replied quickly yesterday. This would leave bsquared on the Pirates.

I think we can start as soon as we have forums. The only request I make is that the Geckos first move will need to be discussed after August 4th because of people being away.
Xyzzy, can I request that we have new forums. New ones would be useful so that the posts in the old forums can remain visible. Reading what the opposing team wrote in the previous match could be an interesting twist to the game(especially in a few games time if we are still going).

Brian-E 2013-07-21 15:38

In fact I'm not away. I am on holiday but with sufficiently frequent internet access to be able to take part fully.

Xyzzy 2013-07-21 21:08

[LIST=1][*]New forums for the second game have been created.[*]The old forums for the first game have been set "read-only" and added to the search engine list.[*]Passwords for the new forums have been generated. Please test the forums to ensure that they are password protected.[*][b]Team captains need to PM us for their ultra-sekrit password.[/b][/LIST]
[LIST][*]Participants:[LIST][*]SP - bsquared, Cheesehead, LaurV & WMHalsdorf[*]TG - Brian-E, henryzz, paulunderwood & richs[/LIST][/LIST]

henryzz 2013-07-22 09:29

[quote=Xyzzy]
[quote=henryzz]edit: BTW Xyzzy is there a reason why I can't seem to post formatting or smilies in the private subforum? [/quote]

We must have set the team forums to text only. We will turn on formatting and stuff but we think (?) attachments would be a bad idea because they are easily discovered. (Think about how attachments work.)

:sleep:[/quote]
Is there any chance you could make this change again?

Xyzzy 2013-07-22 21:40

Done.

Sorry about that!

:max:

henryzz 2013-07-22 21:43

[QUOTE=Xyzzy;347031]Done.

Sorry about that!

:max:[/QUOTE]
With that sort of time difference it is easy to forget something twice.:smile:

LaurV 2013-07-23 07:23

I assume we have the same password, which is now public? Because it did not ask me for any other password... Or does the subforums employ other authentification methods? (like by user name, etc?)

henryzz 2013-07-23 08:21

I get in automatically because I have moderation powers in the sub forum. The same should go for you as you are team captain. I am confused as to why your name is blue currently.

Xyzzy 2013-07-23 16:31

LaurV's blue name has been fixed.

Please test to make sure you all cannot get into the other team's forum.

bsquared 2013-07-23 16:42

password?

Xyzzy 2013-07-23 16:51

[url]http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpost.php?p=346905&postcount=28[/url]

:spot:

Brian-E 2013-07-23 16:58

With my team password I can access the Geckos and not the Pirates, so it works correctly for ordinary team members like me.:tu:

I received my password from henryzz, so, bsquared, I assume that your team captain LaurV should be sending you yours.

LaurV 2013-07-24 06:15

[QUOTE=Xyzzy;347122][URL]http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpost.php?p=346905&postcount=28[/URL]

:spot:[/QUOTE]
Grrr... I knew that... But as you could see, without PM-ing you, I was able to post in the thread, using the old password (I assume. I did not input any password, but there should be one stored in my Firefox, therefore I was posting the precedent message, wondering if the password is the same, which became public by Brian's post quoting Raman's idiocy).

I was not able to access Gecko's forum (asking for a password), but I was able to access Pirate's with the old one. Can't explain more clear. My post (Move #1) is there, for proof.

Which I still do, without PM-ing you and asking for a new password. Question was if this is intended behavior for the team's captains, or everybody could use the "public" password to access the Pirate's treasure chests...

Edit: trying to access the Gecko game 2, asks me for a password, and when I input one, it says is wrong. How many trials do I get? :razz: Just kidding. So, this part is ok. Someone else has to check if the Pirate's forum can be accessed with the old password. Bsquared is the best candidate, as he is in our team and no reason to cheat (saying it can not, when in reality it can), and also he has no "cached" passwords or rights in the past. I can not do this, because I suspect that I have rights "by default" as long as I am moderator in that forum, so it needs to be someone "fresh".

Edit 2: I tried to access Geckos forum using their old password posted in their old game's thread. I can not... We seem good for now.

Brian-E 2013-07-24 07:12

Just for the record...
I may have quoted Raman's idiocy, but I removed the old password from his PM before doing so, merely mentioning that he had given it to me. I know you realise that, LaurV, but someone casually reading your post might misinterpret you.
:smile:

I should keep my nose out of this and let Mike answer you, LaurV, but my nose is so long sometimes that it just pokes in everywhere. And here too. So... has Mike given you the new password for your team's new forum? And if so, have you passed it on to your team members? If so, everyone in your team should be able to check that they can see what they should and not what they shouldn't.
:smile:

LaurV 2013-07-24 08:09

Yes, that post was clean from the start, but there was another one with the integral text, in your team's forum, which is now public. There, you (not personally, but the team) posted [URL="http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=17258"]your own password[/URL] too, so both of the old passwords are "public" now. Fortunately, they are not valid anymore.

I just PM the battery of the minions to give us a password. Sorry for my delay. I was always able to access the new forum, and I assumed that everybody is. I just realized that I posted in the "move 1" thread, but nobody can read it, because they are waiting for me to give them the password, so I am somehow talking alone there... (not that I am not used with...) :razz:

bsquared 2013-07-24 13:55

[QUOTE=LaurV;347195]
Edit: trying to access the Gecko game 2, asks me for a password, and when I input one, it says is wrong. How many trials do I get? :razz: Just kidding. So, this part is ok. Someone else has to check if the Pirate's forum can be accessed with the old password. Bsquared is the best candidate, as he is in our team and no reason to cheat (saying it can not, when in reality it can), and also he has no "cached" passwords or rights in the past. I can not do this, because I suspect that I have rights "by default" as long as I am moderator in that forum, so it needs to be someone "fresh".
[/QUOTE]

I don't know the old password either. If it was leaked somehow, I don't know anything about it and am not about to comb the entirety of this subforum to find it. If the new password is made different than the old then there isn't an issue - cached password or no. I'm assuming that will eventually happen...

henryzz 2013-07-24 17:22

[QUOTE=bsquared;347216]I don't know the old password either. If it was leaked somehow, I don't know anything about it and am not about to comb the entirety of this subforum to find it. If the new password is made different than the old then there isn't an issue - cached password or no. I'm assuming that will eventually happen...[/QUOTE]
I am pretty certain that Laurv could access the forum himself because he was moderator for that forum. I suspect his name being blue was a separate issue.
I have no need for passwords myself(for the geckos forum)

LaurV 2013-07-25 06:26

We are still arguing alone in the Pirates' forum, but not for long. We got the infamous password, for which we thank a lot to all minions involved. We love them!

We tested it if we can access Geckos' forum with this password :razz: We can not! but we tested it anyhow, never know what kinda practical joke to expect from those minions...

We distributed the password to all teammates. We are now waiting for all the pirates to prepare their tools and go catch some gecko... hope all will return unharmed, and with something to fry...

Let's rook!

Brian-E 2013-07-25 07:33

While the Pirates are gearing up to make their first move, it might just be worth a quick recap, especially for the benefit of the new additions to the teams, of the special rules which were in force for game 1. I assume they're all still in force for game 2.
[LIST][*]No use of chess engines allowed.[/LIST][LIST][*]Each team has 7 days to play its move after receipt of the opponents' move.[/LIST]Are there any corrections and additions to this list?

LaurV 2013-07-29 05:44

No addition or correction from our side.
The pirates decided for the first move (somehow..., Ben did not appear yet to express his vote, I may ask here if he has any problems accessing the "Move 1" thread?), but I remember that it was a request that the game does not start till Aug 4th or so? Anyhow, I will post our first move, trying to speedup the things, and I believe that no Pirate will object if we let you think to about Aug 11, assuming you are not around right now (I however suspect that you will reply in the next 2-3 days, and we can indeed speed up the game).

So, the Pirates decided that we are gentlemen this time and let you revenge by playing sicilian :razz: (and maybe win? only if you play right, hehe).

Our first move: [B]1.e4[/B]

(as opposed to being anti-gentlemen and playing anti-sicilian, [STRIKE]1.c4[/STRIKE] as some Pirate joked during our secret meeting, hehe)

Brian-E 2013-07-30 16:36

You seem to have anticipated us correctly, LaurV.

Our move is indeed:
1...c5

LaurV 2013-07-31 06:28

It wasn't anticipation, all Pirates decided that we have to be gentlemen, and I hope you will remember this and let us do two moves in a row when we will be on the edge of the cliff... :razz:

LaurV 2013-08-04 11:06

2.Nc3

henryzz 2013-08-06 10:10

2...Nc6

LaurV 2013-08-07 10:03

3.g3
(what did you expect? :razz:)

Brian-E 2013-08-10 14:05

3...g6

gd_barnes 2013-08-17 18:17

As of 2:05 PM GMT today, white has exceeded his time limit and the game should be considered forfeited to black.

Brian-E 2013-08-17 18:42

[QUOTE=gd_barnes;349948]As of 2:05 PM GMT today, white has exceeded his time limit and the game should be considered forfeited to black.[/QUOTE]
This occurred several times in the previous game, the first time the fault of the Toxic Geckos, and it was handled in a friendly fashion with no forfeiture. I personally see no reason to differ from that approach now.

But is everything okay with you, Pirates? If there are practical difficulties with making your move this time, allowances can be made. (I'm speaking for myself, but I don't believe my team-mates will disagree with this.)

Batalov 2013-08-17 18:57

The rules are presumed to be the same as in the last game: the time deadline is soft. However, around the deadline, Pirates are of course expected to provide some reasonable explanation (e.g. 'the school is starting', 'two members are on a week-long hike in the mountains' or whatnot) and a fair estimate when the move will be posted. Ok?

gd_barnes 2013-08-17 19:03

Yeah, I was tugging everyone's chain here. :smile: I figured the time rule was soft. After all, it's just a friendly game.

LaurV 2013-08-18 11:37

Totally my fault! I considered that the date and time of Brian's post is "Aug 13, 21:05", because THIS is what I see on my screen, and only now I realized that the 13 is in fact the year :blush: and the day is in front. I always had troubles with dmy, mdy, ydm, ymd date formats.

I was telling my team on the Pirate's thread ([B]since Aug 14th [/B]when I read Brian's post), repeatedly, that "I will post the move on Sunday afternoon (my time), because the time limit is on Monday", and nobody (including the mods!) corrected me! Grrrr...

We go with 4.Bg2, if it is still accepted.

Brian-E 2013-08-18 18:36

Yes, I can see how that can happen. Good to hear that all is well.:smile:

paulunderwood 2013-08-21 21:49

4...Bg7. :devil:

LaurV 2013-08-23 02:52

5. d3 :devil: :devil:

henryzz 2013-08-25 20:55

5...e6

LaurV 2013-08-28 01:39

6.Be3

henryzz 2013-08-29 15:08

6...d6

LaurV 2013-09-01 15:24

7 Qd2

henryzz 2013-09-04 10:11

7...Rb8

LaurV 2013-09-10 03:45

8.Nd1

henryzz 2013-09-13 12:31

8...b5

LaurV 2013-09-19 15:40

9. a3

LaurV 2013-09-26 10:35

??

(in fact, with cheesehead - one very good player of our team - banned, you delaying the move works in our favor... :razz:, I know, but I would like to get the move before weekend, otherwise no time to analyze anything, during the week I am very busy at job in this period, and I arrive at home late in the evening)

Brian-E 2013-09-26 10:58

We have a few hours before the deadline, and our move has in fact been pretty much decided. Our team captain said he would post it today after final deliberations are complete.:smile:

gd_barnes 2013-09-26 11:24

[QUOTE=LaurV;354238]??

(in fact, with cheesehead - one very good player of our team - banned, you delaying the move works in our favor... :razz:[/QUOTE]

He's banned from the forum. He's not banned from giving his input on the game via Email. :smile:

richs 2013-09-26 14:03

9...Qa5

LaurV 2013-10-02 05:51

10 Qxa5

henryzz 2013-10-02 15:30

10...Nxe5

Batalov 2013-10-02 15:36

10... Nxa5

Brian-E 2013-10-02 15:37

[QUOTE=Batalov;354949]10... Nxa5[/QUOTE]
Yes!!

Brian-E 2013-10-02 15:42

No-one saw that, did they?:rofl:

LaurV 2013-10-02 16:20

Well, I was on the way to take my magnifier glass to look on e5 square, to check what did you capture there... because you know... you used an "x" in the move, and I am sure that means "capture"... :razz:

Joking apart, you were too fast, we were counting on a week more to think, on your time... :razz: especially now, when (with this I make it official!) [B][U]BB opted out of our team[/U][/B], and cheesehead asked for a holiday, it is only WMH beside of me, fighting your full team...

We are looking for another, motivated, team member to substitute BB. Any volunteers? It must not be a newbie on the forum (like some of the Geckos just creating a double identity, to spy on us, hehe).

Regarding BB, he motivated that the game take precious time of him, which time would be better use to develop yafu further, not exactly his words, these are just mine, but I honestly prefer him working on yafu than playing (whatever game) chess. Yafu is a wonderful tool, and I would happily lose this game, and another 100 games, to have an yafu which is faster or offers more features.

Brian-E 2013-10-02 16:37

Good luck with recruiting more team members, LaurV.

You could also write a new posting in [URL="http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=17249"]henryzz' thread[/URL] in the lounge which Mike helpfully glued to the top of that sub-forum.

henryzz 2013-10-02 23:26

Sorry I wrote it on my tablet while out. Thanks for the correction.

gd_barnes 2013-10-04 21:16

May I suggest "if-then" moves to speed up the game?

In my former correspondence play, we did that extensively sometimes doing a series of 3-4-5 if-then moves in one Email in long forced variations. For instance, white could have said: 10. Qxa5, if Nxa5, then 11. (whatever) before the last set of moves.

If the other side accepts the "if" move, then they have (here) 7 days to make the move following the "then" move. If they don't accept it, they have 7 days to make a move different than the "if" move. It really speeds things along in a long forced variation.

Of course it's only an option, not a requirement. If you're wanting to go slowly like white here with team members out, then it makes sense to not do it.

Batalov 2013-10-04 21:21

I think this is a good time-saving option for forced moves.

paulunderwood 2013-10-04 21:25

I think the current rules are okay, because it gives plenty of time to the members of each team to study the positions. Often the members are busy with work, family or holidays. Black was able to move quickly, NxQ, because there was no choice and so no analysis was needed. Anyway, teams can use their opponents moving time for "what if" scenarios :smile:

LaurV 2013-10-05 03:28

I am mostly with paulunderwood here. We all have better things to do, usually... One week is ok for me, which I mainly study the position over the weekend. But of course, there are situations, like the one we just passed, when the continuation is obvious. We could say "10.xxx and you are forced to 10....yyy otherwise mate in 2 moves, and if you do 10...yyy then we do 11. zzz", but you know, that wouldn't be very polite... Maybe the other team is counting on those 7 days of the "forced" move yyy to decide further moves, which are more complicate, and forcing them in a sequence of moves would mean robbing them of those days. Not that I would care, enemies must be killed by any means, who invented that impossible association of words called "fair fight"? :razz: but well.. I like my "chessy weekends"...

LaurV 2013-10-05 06:45

[B]11.f4 [/B]

(yarrrr!)

And to stay in line with the former discussion: "and if you resign, we will accept!" (or maybe not, because we'll lose all the fun...)
(just my idea of joking, and it does not represent the oppinion of my team! However, the move is for real, that is out 11th move).

Brian-E 2013-10-05 14:32

Like Paul and LaurV, I am no fan of conditional moves. They were useful in the bad old days of postal chess to save on time and postage costs, but there is little to be gained from them now. We were able to reply quickly last time anyway, and if the Pirates had had their next move already worked out then they too could have replied very quickly. So there is little to be gained. The disadvantages of conditional moves, on the other hand, which include more chance of clerical errors and more risk of inadequately considered moves, are as prevalent with this form of play as with normal correspondence games.

Brian-E 2013-10-05 15:33

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a famous example of the perils of conditional moves from the world correspondence championship tournament 1965-8. In the position below Black (Ken Messere) intended to play 14...Bxf2+ and to offer the conditional sequence "if 15.Kxf2 Ne5". Instead, he forgot about the initial rook capture and simply sent the blunder 14...Ne5??, and after 15.Be3 Nxf3+ 16.Rxf3 he was a piece down and had to resign. What a sad outcome to months of hard work! You could say that such carelessness is just part of the game, but I don't think it makes for interesting chess.

gd_barnes 2013-10-07 22:33

I understand why you don't want to do if-then moves but I think your last argument is flawed. It's like saying: Because the speed limit is 70 MPH, more people are killed in car accidents than if the speed limit is 55 MPH so we are going to [I]always[/I] have 55 MPH speed limits...or let's outlaw alcohol because it leads to drunk driving accidents.

In other words, with anything that leads to "convenience, fun, or efficiency" there are frequently risks and tradeoffs. I think it would be a very small tradeoff of the minuscule chance of an error vs. all of the possible time savings.

All of that said, I know time does not really matter in this game so the point is taken for that reason to not have if-then moves.

Batalov 2013-10-11 20:34

Heads up. I will be traveling for two weeks - please don't be alarmed if an(y)other mod will start posting the game moves. They may or may not have a set up ready for the attached board image of the game, so it may not be attached with every move for a few moves... I'll be back.

Brian-E 2013-10-11 21:17

I hope you have a great trip, Sergey. See you in a couple of weeks.:tu:

Brian-E 2013-10-11 21:53

Our move is:
[B]11...Bb7[/B]

LaurV 2013-10-14 14:47

12.Nf3

Batalov 2013-10-21 05:51

Note to teams: don't look at the protocol date postings, but instead look at the time the move was first posted, i.e. 10/14. (In other words, it would be probably in good form to start preparing for a black move. Pay no attention to my absence; I'll be back in a week.)

Brian-E 2013-10-21 08:47

[QUOTE=Batalov;356909]Note to teams: don't look at the protocol date postings, but instead look at the time the move was first posted, i.e. 10/14. (In other words, it would be probably in good form to start preparing for a black move. Pay no attention to my absence; I'll be back in a week.)[/QUOTE]
Yes, thanks for the reminder. The Geckos had already noted this possible source of confusion, and our team captain is due to play our move very shortly.

henryzz 2013-10-21 10:44

12...Nc6

LaurV 2013-10-28 01:40

13. O-O

henryzz 2013-11-01 22:14

13...Nge7

LaurV 2013-11-08 17:24

14.c3