mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   No Prime Left Behind (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Server outrages (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13840)

Batalov 2011-04-29 06:10

Ahem, I thought that the traditional name of the thread was "Severe outrages", wasn't it?

gd_barnes 2011-04-29 06:13

[QUOTE=Batalov;259896]Ahem, I thought that the traditional name of the thread was "Severe outrages", wasn't it?[/QUOTE]

Lol, I don't remember that. Regardless I'm having an outrage right now. :smile:

gd_barnes 2011-04-29 08:08

I'm even more enraged now. After Dave got on EasyDNS, he said it appeared that I hadn't paid the annual fee. But I paid that back in Feb. before the Mar. 1 due date but they aren't showing it on their site. I even have an Email receipt for the payment.

I'm at a loss and tired and going to bed now. I guess the servers will just have to be inaccessable until I can call them and get it straightened out. It'll probably be early afternoon Friday before I can see what is going on. Max, if you have any ideas, please let us know.

mdettweiler 2011-04-29 11:52

[QUOTE=gd_barnes;259902]I'm even more enraged now. After Dave got on EasyDNS, he said it appeared that I hadn't paid the annual fee. But I paid that back in Feb. before the Mar. 1 due date but they aren't showing it on their site. I even have an Email receipt for the payment.

I'm at a loss and tired and going to bed now. I guess the servers will just have to be inaccessable until I can call them and get it straightened out. It'll probably be early afternoon Friday before I can see what is going on. Max, if you have any ideas, please let us know.[/QUOTE]
What the heck?!? Okay, that's strange. I'm going to log into the EasyDNS website myself now to see if I can figure out what's up.

Meanwhile, sorry about the conflicting messages; I at first thought I already had the EasyDNS password, so I sent you the "all OK" message under the assumption that this would be an easy 2-minute fix I could apply myself. It wasn't until after that that I realized it was a little more complex.

[b]Edit: I tried logging into the EasyDNS website with the password you sent me and a variety of likely usernames (gbarnes017, <gbarnes017 at gmail dot com>, etc.) but it was rejected each time. :rant: Could you (or Dave, since it sounds like he got in--whichever sees this first) send me the username as well? Thanks.[/b]

mdettweiler 2011-04-29 17:10

Okay, I think I see what's up now. For some reason, the domain was never actually transferred to Gary's account at EasyDNS...it's still under IronBits's, just (presumably) with Gary listed as the billing contact. @Gary and Dave, I'll be sending you guys an email shortly with more on this.

@all others: In light of this, I'm thinking it may be a day or two before this is resolved. In the meantime, you can continue to use nplb-gb1.no-ip.org instead of noprimeleftbehind.net to access all NPLB services. Also, Gary and I's email addresses @noprimeleftbehind.net are not affected by this, as they are hosted through Google Apps and thus are independent of IP address changes on Gary's end.

Flatlander 2011-05-01 15:02

[QUOTE=mdettweiler;259946]...In the meantime, you can continue to use nplb-gb1.no-ip.org instead of noprimeleftbehind.net to access all NPLB services...[/QUOTE]

Aaargh. Somebody slap me. I [I]thought[/I] my PCs were quiet.

AMDave 2011-05-02 02:04

Slap. :smile:

mdettweiler 2011-05-02 02:43

[QUOTE=Flatlander;260124]Aaargh. Somebody slap me. I [I]thought[/I] my PCs were quiet.[/QUOTE]
FYI, PRPnet allows you to specify backup servers to be used in case the primaries are inaccessible or out of work. I have a few of PrimeGrid's servers in all of my clients set at 0% resource share to cover contingencies like this. (Incidentally, if you have a PrimeGrid BOINC account--which you can set up either via a BOINC client or their [url=http://www.primegrid.com/create_account_form.php]web form[/url]--they will manually give you BOINC credit on a periodic basis to represent your contributions to their PRPnet servers. Raiders of the Lost Primes is [URL="http://www.primegrid.com/team_display.php?teamid=2624"]set up[/URL] there, too, so any credit you earn for "downtime" work can count for the team as well. :smile:)

At any rate, it lets your computers continue to do useful work for [i]somebody[/i] when our servers are down, even though it's not for NPLB. :smile:

Flatlander 2011-05-02 11:46

All my backup servers belonged to NPLB. :ouch1:

Flatlander 2011-05-02 13:45

[QUOTE=AMDave;260194]Slap. :smile:[/QUOTE]

And the other one.

gd_barnes 2011-05-02 19:57

I just sent David (IronBits) an Email and left a message at his number shown on the whois pages. We'll see how that works. Both the Email and phone # are still operational so hopefully they are still valid for him. If I don't hear from him by early Tuesday, I'll call the support number at EasyDNS. I'm sure they have situations like this that come up where no one can get ahold of a previous owner of a Domain so hopefully they can get it transferred to me. If not, we're stuck having to create a new domain name for all of the servers and pages.

What a mess.