mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Software (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is it possible to convert Prime95 to UWP and launch it in Microsoft Store? (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=24712)

Bulldozer 2019-08-21 05:10

Is it possible to convert Prime95 to UWP and launch it in Microsoft Store?

I tried doing that with Desktop App Converter, but it can't write .bu intremidiate files.
Can anyone help me to do that?

Uncwilly 2019-08-21 05:32

Install Prime95 into a folder that is [B][U]not[/U][/B] under "Program Files". Prime95 wants to write data in its home folder. The last few versions of Windows don't like that. They want it under 'ProgramData'.

I make a folder up at the root level for it (because some of the machines are shared by several users at times). You can do it on the desktop or in a folder directly under the user folder.

M344587487 2019-08-21 08:00

Scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

Madpoo 2019-08-23 23:38

[QUOTE=Uncwilly;524106]Install Prime95 into a folder that is [B][U]not[/U][/B] under "Program Files". Prime95 wants to write data in its home folder. The last few versions of Windows don't like that. They want it under 'ProgramData'.

I make a folder up at the root level for it (because some of the machines are shared by several users at times). You can do it on the desktop or in a folder directly under the user folder.[/QUOTE]

Or suck it up and install to %appdata% or %localappdata% for each user. Works without needing extra permissions although it tends to stink if you wanted to preinstall it on a system since those are user-specific locations (per-user installs, not per-machine).

In a world where you may find yourself using a locked down machine and you're not a local admin, that's the trade-off.

ssybesma 2019-08-26 02:57

[QUOTE=Bulldozer;524102]I tried doing that with Desktop App Converter, but it can't write .bu intremidiate files.
Can anyone help me to do that?[/QUOTE]

This made me wonder if I can run Prime95 on my free AWS account. Haha!

GP2 2019-08-26 15:23

[QUOTE=ssybesma;524547]This made me wonder if I can run Prime95 on my free AWS account. Haha![/QUOTE]

Not really. The free tier instances will throttle the amount of CPU you can use.

ssybesma 2019-08-26 15:38

[QUOTE=GP2;524588]Not really. The free tier instances will throttle the amount of CPU you can use.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I see that actually.

I spun up two Windows 2008 Server VMs last night on AWS with Prime95 running. I won't go more than two.

I think actually I will be charged a few dollars a month because the combined hours per month goes past their limit of 750 by almost double.

One thing I have to find out more about is instance termination. Hopefully both will stay up.

Late note: I saw the thread about using AWS and it suggests using Linux is MUCH cheaper (once I have to start paying). I may go that route but I kind of like getting the hands-on experience with Windows Server. I can't afford to buy it.

Bulldozer 2019-08-30 14:37

[QUOTE=M344587487;524121]Scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.[/QUOTE]

Nope. My main purpose is let these who are using Windows 10 S can join in this prime-searching project.