mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Soap Box (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New U.S. President (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=9456)

garo 2008-01-30 13:43

[QUOTE]Absolutely, they are regressive taxes on the working poor and middle class. That being said, I've now taken out way more than I ever put in, so I don't complain.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but that's the way with insurance isn't it?

tallguy 2008-01-30 14:55

[quote=garo;124340]Yeah but that's the way with insurance isn't it?[/quote]How so? Wouldn't that make [I]anything[/I] -- other than fine automobiles, seaside real estate, and caviar -- a regressive tax on the poor? How is insurance any different?

garo 2008-01-30 15:24

Sorry should have been clearer in my post. I meant that with insurance most people don't claim anything - in a specified time period - but those who do claim generally get more back than they put in. My comment referred to the second sentence and not the first.

ewmayer 2008-01-30 17:40

Edwards a goner ... Giuliani's "just wait 'til Florida" non-strategy similarly dooms him to the deadpool ... McCain's clever "stealthy Lazarus" strategy has his GOP rivals reeling ... Super Tuesday gonna be really interesting, I wonder if there may be a surprise due for HillBillary in California - Hillary thinks she's got the Hispanic, Asian and Women vote locked up, just like she thought things were "close" in South Carolina. [And the pollsters agreed].

Purely subjectively, my issues with Hillary and "the voice" [a la [i]Dune[/i]] have coalesced into this: the thought of having to listen to that shrill, strident, nagging sound near-daily for the next four years fills me with a dread beyond words...take the amorphous [i]Wahwahwah[/i] parody of adult voices from the animated [i]Peanuts[/i] cartoons, mix with a dollop of [i]60 Minutes[/i] Andy Rooney whine [e.g. [i]"Whyyyyyyy do they call it 'taking a leak'? I meaaaaaan, you're not really taaaaaaaking it anywhere..."[/i]], apply to a background sonic canvas of fingernails-on-chalkboard, and that is roughly the effect it has on me.

tallguy 2008-01-31 03:21

[quote=ewmayer;124355]Purely subjectively, my issues with Hillary and "the voice" [a la [I]Dune[/I]] have coalesced into this: the thought of having to listen to that shrill, strident, nagging sound near-daily for the next four years fills me with a dread beyond words...take the amorphous [I]Wahwahwah[/I] parody of adult voices from the animated [I]Peanuts[/I] cartoons, mix with a dollop of [I]60 Minutes[/I] Andy Rooney whine [e.g. [I]"Whyyyyyyy do they call it 'taking a leak'? I meaaaaaan, you're not really taaaaaaaking it anywhere..."[/I]], apply to a background sonic canvas of fingernails-on-chalkboard, and that is roughly the effect it has on me.[/quote]Priceless... spot on.

Brian-E 2008-01-31 10:22

Priceless... in the USA you can democratically choose the voice you like best.

davieddy 2008-01-31 12:21

[quote=Brian-E;124387]Priceless... in the USA you can democratically choose the voice you like best.[/quote]
Personally I got irritated with the sound of GWB even before
he first got "elected". Even Bill Clinton grated after a while.
Mind you, us English can get snobbish about "powers of oratory".
Obama's diction comes across most favourably to my ears.

tallguy 2008-01-31 15:37

[quote=davieddy;124389]Personally I got irritated with the sound of GWB even before
he first got "elected". Even Bill Clinton grated after a while.
Mind you, us English can get snobbish about "powers of oratory".
Obama's diction comes across most favourably to my ears.[/quote]This is where I am jealous of the Brits... they [I]all[/I] sound fantastic. :smile:

garo 2008-01-31 16:31

No they don't! While I disagree with the characterization "fantastic" I'd like to point out that it's mainly the upper-class that sounds that way.

Someone once pointed out - tongue in cheek of course - that if you wanted to sound like that all you needed was to stuff marbles in your cheeks and a stiff rod at the other end :missingteeth:

ewmayer 2008-01-31 16:43

[QUOTE=davieddy;124389]Mind you, us English can get snobbish about "powers of oratory".
Obama's diction comes across most favourably to my ears.[/QUOTE]

You mean "favorably"?

:P

cheesehead 2008-01-31 18:06

[quote=ewmayer;124403]
[quote=davieddy;124389]Mind you, us English can get snobbish about "powers of oratory".
Obama's diction comes across most favourably to my ears.[/quote]
You mean "favorably"?

:P[/quote]No, he meant "we English".

:smile: