mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Conjectures 'R Us (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software/instructions/questions (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=9742)

Puzzle-Peter 2011-03-07 17:35

Post to exchange a script file

1 Attachment(s)
Following Mark's instructions, I tried the failing primality test from the command line, using pfgw32 and pfgw64 version 3.4.5 for Linux. They both worked. So I tried running the running the script again. pgw32 worked, pfgw64 produced the SIGILL error as described.

So here's the script I was using, there seems to be no way to attach it to a personal message to Mark. This post can be deleted as soon as he gets the attachment.

Thanks,
Peter

rogue 2011-03-07 17:51

[QUOTE=Puzzle-Peter;254548]Following Mark's instructions, I tried the failing primality test from the command line, using pfgw32 and pfgw64 version 3.4.5 for Linux. They both worked. So I tried running the running the script again. pgw32 worked, pfgw64 produced the SIGILL error as described.

So here's the script I was using, there seems to be no way to attach it to a personal message to Mark. This post can be deleted as soon as he gets the attachment.

Thanks,
Peter[/QUOTE]

I presume you used -f30 with this script. It works on Win64, so I'll need to get access to a Linux box in order to debug it.

BTW, if I can't reproduce on a Linux box available to me, would you be able to get me access to your box so that I can debug on it?

Puzzle-Peter 2011-03-07 20:05

[QUOTE=rogue;254550]I presume you used -f30 with this script. It works on Win64, so I'll need to get access to a Linux box in order to debug it.

BTW, if I can't reproduce on a Linux box available to me, would you be able to get me access to your box so that I can debug on it?[/QUOTE]

Ugh, yes I forgot to mention -f30.

These boxes aren't even online, I transfer data via USB stick. I haven't got admin permissions either. Sorry! But I'll be happy to carry out any instructions you give me. It will be a slow and awkward process though.

rogue 2011-03-07 20:39

[QUOTE=Puzzle-Peter;254558]Ugh, yes I forgot to mention -f30.

These boxes aren't even online, I transfer data via USB stick. I haven't got admin permissions either. Sorry! But I'll be happy to carry out any instructions you give me. It will be a slow and awkward process though.[/QUOTE]

It would be rather hard to do this on an off-line box. You need the sources and a compiler (gcc) and the debugging tool (gdb). If you can do these things, then talk to me off-line via my e-mail address.

rogue 2011-03-08 16:09

Steven Harvey has been able to reproduce the problem on his Linux box (where PFGW is built from). He has given me ssh access so I am going to debug it there.

Puzzle-Peter 2011-03-08 16:32

[QUOTE=rogue;254620]Steven Harvey has been able to reproduce the problem on his Linux box (where PFGW is built from). He has given me ssh access so I am going to debug it there.[/QUOTE]

That's great! gcc is available to me, but not gdb...

BTW: is there a way to completely suppress screen output? The program ploughs through the k's so fast I am afraid output may slow down the whole thing. I know it does for the sieves at low p levels when run without -q.

rogue 2011-03-08 17:03

[QUOTE=Puzzle-Peter;254621]That's great! gcc is available to me, but not gdb...

BTW: is there a way to completely suppress screen output? The program ploughs through the k's so fast I am afraid output may slow down the whole thing. I know it does for the sieves at low p levels when run without -q.[/QUOTE]

d/l 3.4.6 and use -Cquiet.

Puzzle-Peter 2011-03-08 17:37

[QUOTE=rogue;254623]d/l 3.4.6 and use -Cquiet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

rogue 2011-03-11 01:04

[QUOTE=Puzzle-Peter;254548]Following Mark's instructions, I tried the failing primality test from the command line, using pfgw32 and pfgw64 version 3.4.5 for Linux. They both worked. So I tried running the running the script again. pgw32 worked, pfgw64 produced the SIGILL error as described.

Thanks,
Peter[/QUOTE]

I have fixed the problem, or at least I think I have. I rebuilt GMP using "generic x86" instructions and this no longer fails. I hope to re-release the Linux soon.

Puzzle-Peter 2011-03-18 15:12

Sieving question

I started sieving for S63 using srsieve. I specified -f but for some reason did not get factor files, so now I have different srsieve.out files each with a number of candidates removed.

I can extract the removed candidates for each output file and then remove them all from the original sieve file using an awk script several times (once for each core), but it's a bit awkward. Can srfile or some other tool be used for this?

Thanks
Peter

rogue 2011-03-18 17:00

[QUOTE=Puzzle-Peter;255706]I started sieving for S63 using srsieve. I specified -f but for some reason did not get factor files, so now I have different srsieve.out files each with a number of candidates removed.

I can extract the removed candidates for each output file and then remove them all from the original sieve file using an awk script several times (once for each core), but it's a bit awkward. Can srfile or some other tool be used for this?

Thanks
Peter[/QUOTE]

srsieve will remove the factors automatically. You don't need to worry about saving off factors. Use srsieve -a to create the .abcd file needed for sr2sieve. That will create a factor file that srfile can use to remove factors. When using sr2sieve, you probably want to specify the -x option so that it doesn't generate Legendre symbols.