mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Math (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The "one billion minus 999,994,000" digits prime number (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=20568)

CRGreathouse 2015-11-11 17:37

[QUOTE=danaj;415830]We need to see it properly working then, with a single PrimeQ at the end that asserts "I have failed, something has gone terribly wrong, do not use this code!" if it ever fails.[/QUOTE]

Yes. If I saw code (even horribly inefficient code) of that sort, [i]with at least one user-selectable variable[/i] (otherwise you could just preprogram a known prime!) of this sort then I'd agree that he has some sort of apparently-prime-generating algorithm, and then we could talk about whether it actually works and how to make it efficient enough to find million- or billion-digit primes. Until then this is all muh ado about nothing.

a1call 2015-11-11 23:03

[QUOTE=danaj;415830]

This is all way too complicated, with too many things floating around (e.g. are we still talking about 1000M digit primes?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but only in the following capacity:

* I had this idea of a formulaic approach to the EFF challenge where you would come up with a mathematical expression (which would probably fit in a single sheet of paper) which would be of`the form of a sum.
* The sum could be evaluated in a truncated form (limited and manageable significant digits) which would be shown to be around 10^10^10 and to be less than the largest-factor-of-the-addends-of-the-sum^2, which would then be sufficient proof of primality
* To do this you would need to have either a general or perhaps specific formula for a sum which would converge to such a value
* I do not know how to get to such a formula which is the reason why, I registered and joined this delightful forum. to ask for assistance

The only valid argument against such an approach was presented by one of the MODs on the Physics Forum which has since decided to lock that thread. I think his point is valid but not necessarily without solution.

At this point I doubt very much any useful discussions can be generated in this thread.
I suggest we let it sink or be locked so that we can get on with our lives.

Thank you all for you patience, time and participation.

I would specially like to thank [B]danaj [/B]and [B]schickel[/B].

Batalov 2015-11-12 05:33

[QUOTE=a1call;415867]The only valid argument against such an approach was presented by one of the MODs on the Physics Forum which has since decided to lock that thread. I think his point is valid but not necessarily without solution.

At this point I doubt very much any useful discussions can be generated in this thread.
I suggest we let it sink or be locked so that we can get on with our lives.[/QUOTE]
Amen.

Xyzzy 2015-11-12 14:59

We just wanted to add that we learned enough from this thread to make reading it worthwhile.

:tu: