mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Software (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Problem with clean MacOS reinstall (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=28120)

ewmayer 2022-10-02 22:42

Problem with clean MacOS reinstall

Sister gifted me a used MacPro running OS X Yosemite. I was playing with p-1 runs on it in an effort to gauge what % of the RAM was actually usable by the user. At some point I got a little too aggressive, system became unreposnsive. On my old Mac Classic I've always simply pressed and held the on/off button to force shutdown in such cases, then powered back up. On the Pro this seems to have borked something, subsequent powerup attempt gave some form of "disk error" message. After playing with various things (fsck, Disk Utility) sans success, decided to just do a clean reinstall of Yosemite from DVD.

After agreeing to license terms, get "Install OS X" splash screen, below that is a DVD icon, below that is "Select the disk on which to install" but there is no listing of disk options, nothing saying "HD" and 'continue' is grayed out. My first attempt I used Disk Utility to try to repair the borked HD, but it was unsuccessful. Some of the data must still be there, because on loading the boot DVD, the WiFi gets turned on with the usual default network settings. What to do?

paulunderwood 2022-10-02 23:42

Recently, forumite rogue had a similar problem. He left the Mac turned off for several hours -- overnight? -- and it was okay the next day. Who knows what is going on. Maybe the disk needs to cool down due to excessive swapping. Maybe this is a feature of Macs. :unsure:

ewmayer 2022-10-06 00:08

@Paul - thanks. Alas, overnight (and overweek) shutdown makes no difference for me. I'll likely have to bite the bullet and take to nearest Apple store with a repair department but medical appointments/paperwork/bureaucracy have once again eaten most of my waking hours this week. (Long story short, I need surgical repair of a severely leaky heart valve, and dealing with the US for-profit healthcare system is a Kafkaesque nightmare.)

Uncwilly 2022-10-06 03:20

[QUOTE=ewmayer;615016](Long story short, I need surgical repair of a severely leaky heart valve, and dealing with the US for-profit healthcare system is a Kafkaesque nightmare.)[/QUOTE]Hope you get that addressed. I lost a relative to a valve that went bad. Another had one and got the replacement surgery.

VBCurtis 2022-10-06 05:09

My guess is that the disk is fried. Either that disk failure made the machine unresponsive before your power cycle, or you got rather unlucky that the power cycle cooked the disk.

leonardyan96 2022-10-15 13:35

[QUOTE=VBCurtis;615025]My guess is that the disk is fried. Either that disk failure made the machine unresponsive before your power cycle, or you got rather unlucky that the power cycle cooked the disk.[/QUOTE]

Force shutdown might screw up an SSD. I have experienced such thing around 2015. Installing Windows 8.1 caused compatibility problems on my ThinkPad R400, so I had to long-press the power button from time to time, finally it doesn't boot. Later I pulled that drive out and connected it via an USB/SATA adapter. Once I plugged the USB in, the screen got frozen (or Windows didn't see that drive at all, my memory on this isn't accurate).

This might also depend on the quality of the drive itself. That dead drive is a cheap and poorly-built one. My current PC has an Samsung mSATA SSD in it, surviving a number of force shutdowns.

kruoli 2022-10-16 19:20

IIRC, there was quite a big story that MacOS won't flush to disk even if explicitly told to do so, at least starting at some version. I cannot find it right now, but this might be a reason why it did what it did.

ewmayer 2022-11-10 22:28

Post-heart-surgery blizzard of phone calls and outpatient followup appointments finally subsided enough for me to have a look at this. First step was to find the proper Ifixit page for the precise Macbook Pro model in question, as the "Model A1278" on the case bottom maps to multiple iteration. [url=https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Hard+Drive+Replacement/4305]Here[/url] it is. It was actually quite easy to remove the case bottom and pull the borked hard drive. Put that in an external case and USB-plugged into my older Mac Classic frozen at OSX 10.6.8 to see if that would allow me to run Disk Utility. That came up with an error along the lines of "unable to read disk format - you must use OSX 10.7.5 and above."

As it happens, my box of defunct Mac Classic chassis had one with a working 80GB HD preloaded with precisely that OSX version installed. Swapped that into the Mac Pro, it booted fine, but Disk Utility hit an internal error of some kind during Verify/Repair. Since there were no data on either HD which I particlularly needed, at that point inserted a DVD with the OSX Yosemite installer and rebooted, that needed 4-5 hours to do an install which the progress meter said would need 23 minutes, but otherwise no issues. Immediately DLed the corresponding version of Mac build tools, which yielded much newer versions of Clang/LLVM and GCC than on my Classic, tested those out by first DLing and building GNU-MP, then same for the current version of Mlucas, no problems with either.

Lastly, retried the Yosemite version of Disk Utility on the borked HD, it got further, but still eventually stopped with "unable to repair this disk." At that point I ran Erase, but that ended up failing with "unable to write to the last block of the device". No biggie - with SSD prices now in the US$0.10/GB range I'll probably buy a 120GBish SSD (don't really need more for this, but cheaper-per-GB options welcome, including cheap M.2 which one can plug into an [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6PMZLW]SSD-format adapter case[/url]), use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable backup copy of the 80GB HD with the Yosemite install, then swap that in for much faster boot and R/W times.

chalsall 2022-11-10 22:34

[QUOTE=ewmayer;617478]Post-heart-surgery blizzard of phone calls and outpatient followup appointments finally subsided enough for me to have a look at this.[/QUOTE]

I'm presuming we are to parse that literally.

OMGs... So glad you are OK! Seriously!

There is only one of you. Take care of it.

P.S. I'm channeling all my doctors in the above, who keep telling me the job can't be completed if the human isn't around...

paulunderwood 2022-11-10 23:58

We are so glad your heart operation and Mac operation went well, Ernst. :tu:

I am under the knife on Wednesday to have a second operation on the other side of my face to have a bilateral Warthin tumour removed.

chalsall 2022-11-11 00:34

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;617487]I am under the knife on Wednesday to have a second operation on the other side of my face to have a bilateral Warthin tumour removed.[/QUOTE]

I don't pray. But I trust that goes well for you. Statistically likely.

It sucks getting old... Thank the gods for the amazing medical care available nowadays.