mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Puzzles (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   He had a dream (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=6088)

fetofs 2006-07-07 23:43

He had a dream

Recently a friend told me the following story about the death of his grandfather: "My grandparents used to go to church on Sundays. One day during the sermon, which was long and dry, my grandfather fell asleep. That week he had been reading a novel about the French Revolution and began to dream that he was a rich aristocrat living in a beautiful chateau in France.

Suddenly there was a commotion outside. A mob of peasants appeared, stormed the house, grabbed him and tied him up, dragged him to the market square, where there was a platform with a guillotine set up. My grandfather was led up the stairs, a priest muttered a few words to him and then his head was placed in the cradle of the guillotine. A hooded executioner approached and reached up for the lever that releases the blade. At that moment my grandfather was snoring quite loudly, so my grandmother reached out and pinched him on the back of his neck to wake him up. This was such a shock to my grandfather that he suffered a heart attack and died on the spot."

My reaction to the story of my friend: "I don't believe a word of that. You made it up." Why did I react in this way, how did I know the story is not true?

Around 50% of the population can solve this instantly, although the other 50% can't. In which group do you belong?

ixfd64 2006-07-08 00:23

[spoiler]If he did die in his sleep, he wouldn't live to tell about his dream, would he?[/spoiler]

fetofs 2006-07-08 00:28

[QUOTE=ixfd64][spoiler]If he did die in his sleep, he wouldn't live to tell about his dream, would he?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

How didn't I think of that? I guess I'm in the other 50%... At least they say the other 50% is on the average more smart than the other :)

Citrix 2006-07-08 06:01

I am not in the either of the 50%. Explain how?

[spoiler]
There are people who talk in their sleep. it is a sleeping disorder. There is no correct answer to this problem.
[/spoiler]

fetofs 2006-07-08 14:06

[QUOTE=Citrix]I am not in the either of the 50%. Explain how?

[spoiler]
There are people who talk in their sleep. it is a sleeping disorder. There is no correct answer to this problem.
[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

A mathematician is always a mathematician... :)

Uncwilly 2006-07-08 16:21

[spoiler]snooring while facedown is nearly imposible[/spoiler]

fetofs 2006-07-08 18:23

[QUOTE=Uncwilly][spoiler]snooring while facedown is nearly imposible[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

The solution is elementary.

ixfd64 2006-07-09 06:19

Hmm, it seems that my solution doesn't make sense now, as I misread the post. I thought it was the dream that caused the heart attack, rather than the pinch.

Mystwalker 2006-07-09 09:33

[spoiler]ixfd64, I think your answer is completely correct. Even if the grandfather talks in his sleep, it is highly unlikely that he reports his dream in such detail. Was did he say while sleeping?

- "Oh no, a mob is outside my chateau."
- "I'm tied up."
- "No, not the guillotine on the market square."
- "Up the stairs? No, I don't want to!"
- "No priest, please!"
- "No, not in the cradle!"

And so on...

On a side note:
Assuming the contents of the dream is known (due to talking while sleeping) to another person, most likely the grandmother, then a pinch in the neck would be a very harsh way of snoring punishment, IMHO. However, I don't know how they treated each other, so this wouldn't be convincing answer.[/spoiler]