mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Merry Christmas and a prime! (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=22837)

rogue 2017-12-28 00:16

[QUOTE=Prime95;475057]I'd have to run a SQL query for the full list. It included discoverers of past Mersenne primes, Scott, myself, Aaron, Ernst, Chris Caldwell, Richard Crandall, and a few others. Just enough to go over 1023 characters.[/QUOTE]

Have you removed people that have died? Richard Crandall died five years ago.

ewmayer 2017-12-28 00:21

[QUOTE=rogue;475061]Have you removed people that have died? Richard Crandall died five years ago.[/QUOTE]

Sheesh, already 5 years on ... but agreed, "E's singin' in the choir invisible!" would seem reasonable grounds for removal from the distrib list.

Madpoo 2017-12-28 00:23

[QUOTE=rogue;475061]Have you removed people that have died? Richard Crandall died five years ago.[/QUOTE]

It definitely needs pruning. :smile:

Prime95 2017-12-28 00:43

I just looked. The answer is nope. I just did some cleanup, removing about 5 names, adding about 4. I'm missing the email addresses of some previous Mersenne discoverers.

Mark Rose 2017-12-28 00:52

I'm putting my money on ##,###,#17 ;)

chalsall 2017-12-28 02:29

[QUOTE=Prime95;475064]I just looked. The answer is nope. I just did some cleanup, removing about 5 names, adding about 4. I'm missing the email addresses of some previous Mersenne discoverers.[/QUOTE]

Did the resulting set pass the 2^10 character limit? :wink:

Prime95 2017-12-28 02:34

[QUOTE=chalsall;475068]Did the resulting set pass the 2^10 character limit? :wink:[/QUOTE]

I don't know. James says he fixed that. We need to find another prime to test that fix :)

I suppose we code try to code up a test case that sent it to several dummy addresses plus Aaron and myself.... Given our PHP prowess we'd probably mess that up too.

ewmayer 2017-12-28 02:44

[QUOTE=Prime95;475070]I don't know. James says he fixed that. We need to find another prime to test that fix :)

I suppose we code try to code up a test case that sent it to several dummy addresses plus Aaron and myself.... Given our PHP prowess we'd probably mess that up too.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to trigger the system to try to send a test-message to the current recipient list? If so, could the system's e-mail access to the outside world be temporarily suspended, the test-message triggered, and the location where the system stashes messages whose delivery cannot be currently completed examined? If the message appears there it could be deleted and e-mail-access-to-outside-world restored. [Not an IT person, but ISTR this should work based on my long-ago IT-hackage on my old DEC OS X box.]

chalsall 2017-12-28 03:07

[QUOTE=ewmayer;475071]If so, could the system's e-mail access to the outside world be temporarily suspended, the test-message triggered, and the location where the system stashes messages whose delivery cannot be currently completed examined?[/QUOTE]

OMG! No!!! Don't mess with the MTA! Work "in situ".

Just set up a bunch of "throwaway" addresses, and trigger on those.

Mark Rose 2017-12-28 03:22

[QUOTE=chalsall;475072]OMG! No!!! Don't mess with the MTA! Work "in situ".

Just set up a bunch of "throwaway" addresses, and trigger on those.[/QUOTE]

Or if you use gmail, you can always do the [email]whoever+randomthing@gmail.com[/email] trick. Many other mail providers have a smilar feature, perhaps using a different character.

airsquirrels 2017-12-28 04:35

I’m just here to say hurrah for a (potential) new prime.

Alas I am both late to the party, and haven’t kept up with the latest overpriced NVIDIA cards so I can’t offer anything unique to the verification efforts. And since it sounds like the initial run was on CUDA, a non-GPU verification is probably best.