mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Merry Christmas and a prime! (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=22837)

Prime95 2017-12-27 20:44

ATH has started a CudaLucas run.

I suggested an mlucas run be done by someone else. However, I think he's going to do it anyway.

GP2 2017-12-27 20:45

[QUOTE=Prime95;475001]This loophole is now closed for future discoveries. I also erased Xolotl's 6 false successes.

In the future, I'll have to manually update the SQL table after prime verification is complete.[/QUOTE]

Given the perennial failure of email notification, it might be worth leaving a few loopholes, just in case.

Since email didn't work this time, how exactly did anyone realize there was a new prime reported?

Madpoo 2017-12-27 21:37

[QUOTE=GP2;475033]Given the perennial failure of email notification, it might be worth leaving a few loopholes, just in case.

Since email didn't work this time, how exactly did anyone realize there was a new prime reported?[/QUOTE]

When I replied that the email notification worked, what I didn't realize was this was the "backup" email notification that we put in place as a secondary means. That got added after the "oops prime" incident and at least that worked out great.

Fortunately we (and really, it was James) figured out why the notifications weren't working... ended up being just a length limit in the SMTP protocol for the recipient list. :smile: Fixed!

Prime95 2017-12-27 21:37

[QUOTE=GP2;475033]Since email didn't work this time, how exactly did anyone realize there was a new prime reported?[/QUOTE]

The failsafe email worked.

The PHP code that sends an instantaneous email failed as it often does. James has looked it over and thinks it was due to too many recipients with no newlines in the recipient list.

The failsafe is a SQLServer stored procedure that runs daily and sends email to madpoo and myself. It looks for any reported primes in the last 45 days. It sends an email whether it finds a prime or not -- so that both madpoo and I can monitor whether the failsafe procedure has gone off the rails.

chalsall 2017-12-27 22:00

[QUOTE=Prime95;475039]The PHP code that sends an instantaneous email failed as it often does. James has looked it over and thinks it was due to too many recipients with no newlines in the recipient list.[/QUOTE]

Guys... Just wondering... and this is meant to be funny, and serious, at the same time.

Have you ever heard of testing your code?

(And this comes from the guy who coined the term Stupid Programmer Error (SPE). :smile:)

Madpoo 2017-12-27 23:04

[QUOTE=chalsall;475044]Guys... Just wondering... and this is meant to be funny, and serious, at the same time.

Have you ever heard of testing your code?

(And this comes from the guy who coined the term Stupid Programmer Error (SPE). :smile:)[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it was tested, but as I think about it, I wonder if the test emails only went to a subset of the recipients. The limit on the recipient line was just a hair over, so it probably boiled down to a case of the test not exactly matching the real world use.

GP2 2017-12-27 23:06

[QUOTE=ixfd64;474980]In case anyone wants to do some sleuthing, the server lists one "success" under the name Jon Pace.

Edit: my prediction is [M]M77196191[/M].[/QUOTE]

There's certainly something weird about that exponent. There's an expired double-check assignment from 2016, but no record of any first-time test, other than the one that completed yesterday.

Prime95 2017-12-27 23:13

[QUOTE=Madpoo;475049]I'm pretty sure it was tested, but as I think about it, I wonder if the test emails only went to a subset of the recipients.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we do not blast the entire recipient list with annoying test emails.

Uncwilly 2017-12-27 23:21

[QUOTE=GP2;475051]There's certainly something weird about that exponent. There's an expired double-check assignment from 2016, but no record of any first-time test, other than the one that completed yesterday.[/QUOTE]But surely you don't want us to google the names of the 2 individuals that are on record for the LL and DC. :stirpot:

chalsall 2017-12-27 23:27

[QUOTE=Prime95;475053]Yes, we do not blast the entire recipient list with annoying test emails.[/QUOTE]

So, please correct me if I'm wrong...

The entire recipient list for notifications of new primes consists of you, James and Aaron.

Definitely grounds for claims of spamming.... :wink:

Prime95 2017-12-28 00:08

[QUOTE=chalsall;475056]So, please correct me if I'm wrong...

The entire recipient list for notifications of new primes consists of you, James and Aaron.

Definitely grounds for claims of spamming.... :wink:[/QUOTE]

I'd have to run a SQL query for the full list. It included discoverers of past Mersenne primes, Scott, myself, Aaron, Ernst, Chris Caldwell, Richard Crandall, and a few others. Just enough to go over 1023 characters.