mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Low-Stress Job with High Potential? Mathematician (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=10688)

cheesehead 2008-09-23 09:16

Low-Stress Job with High Potential? Mathematician

From Yahoo! hotjobs

"Relax: Find a Low-Stress Job with High Potential"
[URL]http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-relax_find_a_low_stress_job_with_high_potential-516[/URL]

Check out what's listed first:

[quote=Vicki Salemi]

Yes, they do exist. Just ask Laurence Shatkin, Ph.D., author of "150 Best Low-Stress Jobs," and he'll immediately find a match based on your personality type, skill set, and interests. "We all know that stress has very bad effects on your health which lead to a lot of problems," he says.

"People should look for a job situation or niche that's less stressful than the norm. For instance, stress levels are related to the impact of your decisions in life-or-death situations and consequences of your actions on the job."

Read below about several jobs that can enable you to experience low stress along with job satisfaction and career growth.

[B]Mathematician[/B]
Although the most stressful aspects of the job are the importance of being exact and a level of competition, in essence it's all good. Shatkin explains, "Mathematicians are not under pressure as this isn't life and death; they're dealing with theoretical realms."

According to the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics, a Ph.D. in mathematics is usually the minimum requirement for entry into the field. BLS indicates the average salary in May 2006 was $86,930.

...[/quote]

jinydu 2008-09-23 13:51

I can't agree with the "low-stress" part. As an undergrad, I had to deal with severe sleep deprivation (routinely less than 6 hours of sleep a day) to finish homework. And there was a continual fear of getting an unacceptable grade.

Having said that, being a professor is probably a very different experience...

bsquared 2008-09-23 14:12

[quote=jinydu;143516]I can't agree with the "low-stress" part. As an undergrad, I had to deal with severe sleep deprivation (routinely less than 6 hours of sleep a day) to finish homework. And there was a continual fear of getting an unacceptable grade.

Having said that, being a professor is probably a very different experience...[/quote]

IANAM, but I imagine there is still stress from getting grants and writing papers, for example, on top of staying current with an ever evolving field. Fear of failure doesn't go away once you get your piece of paper, for most people.

jinydu 2008-09-23 14:15

What does IANAM mean?

Mini-Geek 2008-09-23 14:17

[quote=jinydu;143520]What does IANAM mean?[/quote]
I'm guessing...
I Am Not A Mathematician
From the more common IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer

bsquared 2008-09-23 14:29

[quote=Mini-Geek;143521]I'm guessing...
I Am Not A Mathematician
From the more common IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer[/quote]

bingo.

jasonp 2008-09-23 14:52

If you want to be a mathematician but want lots of stress too:
- Wall Street / quantitative finance
- Nuclear weapons research (checking simulation results is forbidden by treaty)
- Numerical weather prediction (daily forecast has 24-hour hard-real-time contraints)
- Work for the NSA (don't they employ ~30% of the mathematicians in the US?)

Just 'cuz it's math, doesn't mean it has to be in academia...

ewmayer 2008-09-23 16:15

All your "Laurence Shitkan, PhD" are belong to us.

[Except possibly for a subset of vanishing measure.]

Orgasmic Troll 2008-09-23 20:17

I notice that Actuaries get a similar type of treatment in lists of jobs, usually saying that they work good hours, minimal stress, high income, etc. etc.

what both of these things fail to mention is that it's a (relatively) easy life because the paths to get there are going to stress you out. If math grad school doesn't stress you out, either you're going to a crappy school or you couldn't be anything BUT a mathematician.

(and if the 5-10 years of being an actuarial student isn't stressful, then you're just lucky)

cheesehead 2008-09-24 02:39

[quote=jinydu;143516]I can't agree with the "low-stress" part. As an undergrad, I had to deal with severe sleep deprivation (routinely less than 6 hours of sleep a day) to finish homework. And there was a continual fear of getting an unacceptable grade.[/quote]It says "Low-Stress [B]Job[/B]", not "Low-Stress Education", as per Orgasmic Troll.

[quote]Having said that, being a professor is probably a very different experience...[/quote]Exactly.

xilman 2008-09-24 06:59

[QUOTE=Orgasmic Troll;143555]I notice that Actuaries get a similar type of treatment in lists of jobs, usually saying that they work good hours, minimal stress, high income, etc. etc.[/QUOTE]A classical observation is that being an actuary is an ideal career for those who find accountancy too exciting.

Paul