mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Information & Answers (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Server Down? (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=11022)

Grant 2008-11-23 13:47

Server Down?

I have been trying to reach the prime net server for "days and days"
keep getting a "HTTP 404 not found"error

Is it down?

this is the URL I am using

[url]http://www.mersenne.org/primenet/status.shtml[/url]

S485122 2008-11-23 14:09

The old server crashed, the new server has taken its place. The page you refer to does not exist anymore. Go to [url]http://www.mersenne.org[/url] and explore form there on...

Jacob

Grant 2008-11-23 15:27

Ok, thanks

I set up my V5.0 user account and my old account data shows on the migration page.

I had (have) two computers in my 'group'
one is running two instances of Prime 24.14
the other is running one instance of Prime 24.14

Do I still have just "one" account??

I do not understand the instructions "associate one v4_computers virtual CPU on account v5 for each v4 account linked"???

or "TWO fat Cpu credits"?????

I checked my "computers" tab and it just shows one of my two computers
it shows my old computer running one instance of prime

how do I add my new computer to the list that is rinning two instances??

starrynte 2008-11-23 16:56

[quote]Do I still have just "one" account??[/quote]yes, there is one account still
[quote] I do not understand the instructions "associate one v4_computers virtual CPU on account v5 for each v4 account linked"???[/quote]basically, when you link an old v4 account to v5 account (link meaning "tell the server they are from the same person"), the server gives you the credit from the old v4 account, AND adds a computer called "v4_computers" to your cpu's list. this "v4_computers" is ALL of your computers that are still running prime95 version 24.14 combined together. for example, in your case, all of the computer's progress will be combined, as if they were all assigned to one computer, even if this is not true in reality. (which is why they use "one v4_computers [B]virtual[/B] CPU).
[quote]"TWO fat Cpu credits"?????[/quote]On the v4 account, if you completed any assignments, the server gave you credit for those assignments. After linking your v5 account to the v4 account, the v5 server will give you back the credit from the v4 account in two large portions containing all credit accumulated on the v4 account. the two large portions will show up as "v4-LL" and "v4-TF".
[quote]I checked my "computers" tab and it just shows one of my two computers
it shows my old computer running one instance of prime

how do I add my new computer to the list that is rinning two instances??[/quote]there will only be one computer shown. this is the "v4_computers" mentioned above, which has ALL of your computers that are running prime95 version 24.14. version 24.14 does not support the new server, so there has been something set up that allows version 24.14 to talk to the new server. basically, 24.14 talks to the new server through an interface which 24.14 thinks is the old server

Grant 2008-11-23 17:11

That was helpful

Hi Starrynte

That additional info was VERY helpful.
the instructions that I referred to made me think that I had to create these "fat" accounts.
Your explanation made it clear that these "fats" are created automatically

Question on the next steps?
I understand that now I need to update my versions of the software on my computers v25
Also, I assume that I use my new logon and password after I update the software? correct?

What about my computer that is running two instances of Prime?
do I update both copies of the software or does v25 'automatically' handle dual core cpus?

Thx

starrynte 2008-11-23 17:52

[quote]I understand that now I need to update my versions of the software on my computers v25[/quote]This is not required, but it will allow you to see more details about your computer (instead of seeing "v4_computers") Just beware that prime95 25.7 is still slightly buggy as it is a beta release. if you do upgrade, make sure you backup the old prime95 installation
[quote] Also, I assume that I use my new logon and password after I update the software? correct?[/quote]Yes, but prime95 25.7 does not ask you for password, it only asks for user name and optional computer id. the password is only used when you log in to check stats.
[quote] What about my computer that is running two instances of Prime?
do I update both copies of the software or does v25 'automatically' handle dual core cpus?[/quote]backup everything as mentioned above first.
in 25.7, there is no longer a need to run two instances. 25.7 has "workers" - each worker is like an instance.

first, to update the single core computer: in 24.14, uncheck "start at bootup" and exit. download 25.7, unzip into the folder where 24.14 was installed. then just run prime95.exe again and i believe prime95 will take care of the rest.
dual core is slightly trickier. in both instances, uncheck start at bootup and exit both. unzip 25.7 into the folder where 24.14 was installed. now, copy all the lines in work0001.ini and paste them into worktodo.ini. then run prime95.exe. go to test -> worker windows. set "number of worker windows" to 2. click ok, then exit prime95. open worktodo.ini again, and move the lines that were assigned to the second instance of 24.14 to below [Worker #2] Then start prime95.exe again, you should see "Worker #1" working on the assignments assigned to the first instance of 24.14, and "Worker #2" working on the assignments assigned to the second instance

I upgraded a more complicated way than necessary, so instructions may not be 100% accurate. also check out other threads and the mersenne.org site for further detail

Phantomas 2008-11-23 18:28

[QUOTE]first, to update the single core computer: in 24.14, uncheck "start at bootup" and exit. download 25.7, unzip into the folder [/QUOTE]

First, send the old data in the spool file via "manual communication / send new expected comlpletion Dates to server" to the server.

Grant 2008-11-23 19:01

Thanks!!!!

Phantomas 2008-11-23 20:16

??Avatar??

Uuuups??? Why theres an avatar picture for me???
I never choosed one.....

Mini-Geek 2008-11-23 20:27

[quote=Phantomas;150399]Uuuups??? Why theres an avatar picture for me???
I never choosed one.....[/quote]
The forum admin sometimes assigns avatars or the little sayings above avatars (like my "Account Deleted") for no apparent or some obscure reason. You can always change it again or blank it if you want.

Phantomas 2008-11-23 20:45

ahh ok, changed it.....