mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   No Prime Left Behind (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Teams: Join a Team! (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=10826)

mdettweiler 2008-10-21 20:07

Teams: Join a Team!

Here are the the teams we have so far. If you would like to join a team or start your own, please post below.

Names in bold are the team "owners"--generally whoever first joined the team at NPLB. If anyone on whom this title has been bestowed wishes to transfer it to another team member, just make a post here to that effect and the deed will be done.

[B]Policies/rules regarding teams:[/B]
-If you leave a team and join another, all your points earned before leaving remain with the old team. Due to the way our database is set up, this means we have to move your old points to another username (perhaps "OldTeam_x"), which will remain on OldTeam; your username x would be effectively reset to 0 points, at which point it will be changed to the new team. An unfortunate side effect of this is that you're busted back to ground zero in the individual stats as well. We may look into seamless team switching (a la BOINC) in the future, but for now such would be an administrative can of worms that we really don't want to open. The upshot is, you don't want to change teams willy-nilly (well, you could, but it would be kind of dumb); think long and hard before making a team change.

-The one exception to the above is if you're going from team "-" (no team) to a real team. In that case, per precedent of how such situations have been handled in the past, all your previous points will go to your new team.

[I][B]New members:[/B] since this is one of the first places a lot of you will be going on first joining the project, it's also a good time to remind you that if you want to have email notifications of primes found, we need to have your email address. If you've submitted any results via PRPnet, we'll get your email address out of the logs and put it in our database so you're all set. If you want to use a different email address for notifications or have only used LLRnet thusfar, please drop either myself (Max a.k.a. mdettweiler, [EMAIL="max@noprimeleftbehind.net"]max@noprimeleftbehind.net[/EMAIL]) or Dave (a.k.a. AMDave), our database administrator, an email/PM.[/I]

The following is intended to be a list of all current team associations. As this list is human-maintained, it may have an occasional temporary discrepancy with what's seen in our [URL="http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/stats/index.php?content=user_pairs"]stats database[/URL]; in any such cases the database is probably correct.

[COLOR=darkolivegreen][B][COLOR=darkolivegreen][URL="http://www.free-dc.org/"]Free-DC[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
[B]IronBits[/B]
alpha
Angus
Beyond
Bok
Chuck
em99010pepe
Fozzie
Free-DC Mercenaries
Helix_Von_Smelix
JeffGilchrist
jokern3000
Kman1293
LaurenU2
nuggetprime
paratima
PCZ
Petey
pfb
ShishFree-DC
tnerual

[COLOR=darkolivegreen][B][COLOR=darkolivegreen][URL="http://www.amdusers.com/"]AMD Users[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
[B]AMDave[/B]
AMDUpcz
Brucifer
DeeDee
gamer007
jamers
MiHost
NeoGen
spikey_richie

[COLOR=darkolivegreen][B][URL="http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/122097561"]Ars Technica Team Prime Rib[/URL][/B][/COLOR]
[B]BlisteringSheep[/B]
smithdc

[B][COLOR=darkolivegreen][URL="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums"]XtremeSystems[/URL][/COLOR][/B]
[B]glennpat[/B]
DragonOrta
jcool

[COLOR=darkslateblue][B]Team_Italia[/B][/COLOR]
[B]ET_[/B]

[COLOR=darkolivegreen][URL="http://www.xgrubberskickass.com/"][B]X Grubbers Kick Ass[/B][/URL][/COLOR]
[B]KAMCOBILL[/B]

[COLOR=blue][URL="http://distributed.org.ua/"][B]Ukraine[/B][/URL][/COLOR]
[B]Death[/B]

[COLOR=darkslateblue][B]Singapura[/B][/COLOR]
[B]db597[/B]

[COLOR=darkslateblue][B]Raiders of the Lost Primes[/B][/COLOR]
[B]gd_barnes[/B]
Bruce
Flatlander
henryzz
kar_bon
mdettweiler
Mini-Geek
MrOzzy
MyDogBuster
Lennart
Oddball
Svenie25

[URL="http://www.kwsnforum.com/"][B]The Knights Who Say Ni![/B][/URL]
[B]Wabbit98[/B]
Adam Alexander
yankton

[B][U][COLOR=navy][URL="http://www.hardocp.com/"][H]ard|OCP[/URL][/COLOR][/U][/B]
[B]Razor_FX_II[/B]
EricE
SazanEyes
tr0ach

[COLOR=navy][B]Team Norway[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][B]Zachariassen[/B][/COLOR]
opyrt

[URL="http://team-goobee.org"][B]Team-Goobee.org[/B][/URL]
[B]Sloth[/B]
Vato

[B][COLOR=#483d8b]PrimeSearchTeam[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]sm5ymt[/COLOR][/B]
grueny
HAmsty
Lumiukko
pschoefer
PST_Ralf_Recker
Robert47
taxhunter

[B][COLOR=#483d8b]Dutch Power Cows[/COLOR][/B]
[B]BiBi[/B]

[B][COLOR=#483d8b]SETI.USA[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Steve_Martin@SETI.USA[/B]

[B][COLOR=#483d8b]Aggie The Pew[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Neo[/B]
Caravaggio
Crun-chi
Ian_Smith
jpaul
KD7LRJ
Mark_Doom
Michael_Wier
Rick_Reynolds
Tarmo_Ilves
Tim
xorrbit

[B][COLOR=#483d8b]Sicituradastra.[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Ralf_Recker[/B]

[B][COLOR=#483d8b]BOINC Confederation[/COLOR][/B]
[B]odicin[/B]

[B][COLOR=#483d8b]L'Alliance Francophone[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Aillas[/B]

Teams serve as a catalyst for friendly competition and can make prime searching a little more fun, especially during rallies. I highly recommend joining or starting one!

Max :smile:

gd_barnes 2008-10-23 00:27

Hum. Anon, Karsten, Flatlander, Mini-Geek, and anyone else, you want to create a new separate team with me? I don't have any great names yet; perhaps "prime cleaners" since we clean up ranges here at NPLB. (lol)

We need to bring some power to compete with Free-DC in the rallies.

Gary

mdettweiler 2008-10-23 02:00

[quote=gd_barnes;146213]Hum. Anon, Karsten, Flatlander, Mini-Geek, and anyone else, you want to create a new separate team with me? I don't have any great names yet; perhaps "prime cleaners" since we clean up ranges here at NPLB. (lol)

Gary[/quote]
Hmm...interesting idea. "Prime Cleaners" would be an interesting name possibility, too. :smile:

Flatlander 2008-10-23 04:45

[quote=mdettweiler;146232]Hmm...interesting idea. "Prime Cleaners" would be an interesting name possibility, too. :smile:[/quote]

[URL]http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/prime/articles/latin/index.asp[/URL]

Ad infinitum? (The never ending search for more primes.)

Ad nauseam? (I hope not!)

mdettweiler 2008-10-23 05:27

[quote=Flatlander;146241][URL]http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/prime/articles/latin/index.asp[/URL]

Ad infinitum? (The never ending search for more primes.)

Ad nauseam? (I hope not!)[/quote]
LOL--definitely an interesting idea though! :smile:

kar_bon 2008-10-24 11:02

[QUOTE=gd_barnes;146213]Hum. Anon, Karsten, Flatlander, Mini-Geek, and anyone else, you want to create a new separate team with me? I don't have any great names yet; perhaps "prime cleaners" since we clean up ranges here at NPLB. (lol)

Gary[/QUOTE]

"Raiders of the lost Primes" :grin:

my first idea. i think about it over the weekend.

Flatlander 2008-10-24 11:27

[quote=kar_bon;146367]"Raiders of the lost Primes" :grin:

my first idea. i think about it over the weekend.[/quote]

I like that!

Mini-Geek 2008-10-24 11:45

I don't like "Prime Cleaners". We're not maids or something. :wink:
"Raiders of the Lost Primes" is pretty cool. :smile:

em99010pepe 2008-10-24 11:56

I think you guys should be called as "Second forever".

IronBits 2008-10-24 16:47

Carlos should be the Team Leader for Free-DC.
I'm sure he will still be crunching long after I'm gone. :wink:

gd_barnes 2008-10-24 19:45

[quote=Mini-Geek;146377]I don't like "Prime Cleaners". We're not maids or something. :wink:
"Raiders of the Lost Primes" is pretty cool. :smile:[/quote]

Excellent! I like it. Karsten, Max, Chris what do you think?

mdettweiler 2008-10-24 19:49

[quote=gd_barnes;146407]Excellent! I like it. Karsten, Max, Chris what do you think?[/quote]
Yes, I like it too. Though it's a little long to put into a username--maybe we could abbreviate the team prefix to "RTLP_"? :smile:

gd_barnes 2008-10-24 20:02

[quote=mdettweiler;146408]Yes, I like it too. Though it's a little long to put into a username--maybe we could abbreviate the team prefix to "RTLP_"? :smile:[/quote]

Leave the "T" out and make it RLP.

mdettweiler 2008-10-24 20:24

[quote=gd_barnes;146411]Leave the "T" out and make it RLP.[/quote]
Okay, yeah, that sounds good.

Flatlander 2008-10-24 22:00

[quote=gd_barnes;146411]Leave the "T" out and make it RLP.[/quote]
:tu:

gd_barnes 2008-10-24 22:50

Playing devil's advocate here...will anyone really know what RLP means?

I suppose they will if we dominate Free-DC. :smile:

Mini-Geek 2008-10-25 00:01

[quote=gd_barnes;146415]Playing devil's advocate here...will anyone really know what RLP means?[/quote]
No, but we'll tell them. :smile:

gd_barnes 2008-10-25 09:56

[quote=Mini-Geek;146421]No, but we'll tell them. :smile:[/quote]

We could also make it RALP...using the first 2 letters of 'raiders' and giving more of a 'ring' to it. What do people think of RALP vs. RLP ?

RLP almost sounds or looks like RIP; kind of a morbid thought. :smile:

Gary

Flatlander 2008-10-25 13:23

[quote=gd_barnes;146457]We could also make it RALP...using the first 2 letters of 'raiders' and giving more of a 'ring' to it. What do people think of RALP vs. RLP ?

RLP almost sounds or looks like RIP; kind of a morbid thought. :smile:

Gary[/quote]
I don't mind but RLP sounds best to me.

IronBits 2008-10-25 16:26

This is what I have now to parse out Teams so far
"AMD Users"
"Ars Technica Team Prime Rib"
"X Grubbers Kick Ass"
"Ukraine"
"Singapura"
"Free-DC"
"ArsTechnica"
"XtremeSystems"
"AMDUsers"
"Team_Italia"
"XGrubbersKickAss"
"X Grubbers Kick As"

mdettweiler 2008-10-25 17:02

[quote=Flatlander;146467]I don't mind but RLP sounds best to me.[/quote]
Same here--"RALP" almost sounds like it's something you're going to RALPH up. :wink: (No offense to anyone actually named Ralph here. :smile:)

em99010pepe 2008-10-25 17:07

[quote=IronBits;146472]
"XGrubbersKickAss"
"X Grubbers Kick As"[/quote]

?

mdettweiler 2008-10-25 17:19

[quote=em99010pepe;146476]?[/quote]
That team name in particular has been denoted both ways at times, I've noticed. When I made my Perl script a while back for converting the results to CSV, I added both to my list of team names to be parsed as such, since I figured it would be easier to simply merge the team names on the database end than to have results submitted with one of the variants be incorrectly credited as "no team", and have to fix that.

A month or so ago I sent IronBits my Perl script when he took over the stats (so that he could analyse how it worked, and if he wanted, simply use it for his system), which included the aforementioned list of teams stored in a teams.dat file. Hence the intentional double-listing on David's list would presumably serve a similar purpose to that on mine (though I don't think mine had the dropped "s" in the second listing). :wink:

IronBits 2008-10-25 17:33

When parsing for the _ character as a team/name split, if a username has an _ char in it then we are going to have problems.
I can parse for the first _ char and split it up based on that.
Team_User_ID would not be a problem
User_ID would be a problem

Anyone have a better idea?

henryzz 2008-10-25 18:24

[quote=IronBits;146481]When parsing for the _ character as a team/name split, if a username has an _ char in it then we are going to have problems.

Anyone have a better idea?[/quote]
maybe if someone has a specific word as their team name then u could recognize it and ignore it
that could be a way of getting round it

mdettweiler 2008-10-25 18:42

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=IronBits;146481]When parsing for the _ character as a team/name split, if a username has an _ char in it then we are going to have problems.

Anyone have a better idea?[/quote]
I've attached the Perl script I wrote a while back to handle the CSV conversion for Adam's old stats site--combined with a teams.dat file (a plain text file listing all known team names, one per line, like your list that you gave a few posts ago), it gets around this problem by checking to see if whatever's before a _ character in a username matches a vlid team name. You may want to implement a similar solution to this in your setup. :smile:

IronBits 2008-10-26 00:10

Thanks, still have your perl script you sent me yarns ago.
May need to use it one of these days, but I'm still having fun with DOS :wink: :smile:

::-------------------------------------
:USER
::-------------------------------------

set LINE=%~2 %~3&rem

for /f "tokens=1,* delims=_" %%a in ("%LINE%") do (
if /i "%%b"=="" set TEAM=-& set USER=%%a& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="Free-DC" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="ArsTechnica" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="XtremeSystems" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="AMDUsers" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="Team_Italia" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="XGrubbersKickAss" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
if /i "%%a"=="X Grubbers Kick As" set TEAM=%%a& set USER=%%b& goto :EOF
)
set USER=%LINE:~0,100%&rem
goto :EOF

Mini-Geek 2008-10-26 01:47

I think we shouldn't abbreviate our team name in the account name thing (where it's teamname_username), even though RaidersOfTheLostPrimes is a bit long to put in. The reason is that acronyms for this are awkward, and changing the words around a little to e.g. PrimeRaiders or LostPrimeRaiders loses the Raiders of the Lost Ark reference and sounds weird. (like the focus is on raiding instead of primes)

mdettweiler 2008-10-26 02:43

[quote=Mini-Geek;146553]I think we shouldn't abbreviate our team name in the account name thing (where it's teamname_username), even though RaidersOfTheLostPrimes is a bit long to put in. The reason is that acronyms for this are awkward, and changing the words around a little to e.g. PrimeRaiders or LostPrimeRaiders loses the Raiders of the Lost Ark reference and sounds weird. (like the focus is on raiding instead of primes)[/quote]
Hmm...well, actually I've noticed that there are in fact a number of other projects that abbreviate [I]all[/I] their team names (PSP is a good example that I can think of right off the bat). I still think that it would be better to abbreviate long team names such as this, since otherwise the long usernames might mess up the columns on the stats pages.

gd_barnes 2008-10-26 06:25

[quote=Mini-Geek;146553]I think we shouldn't abbreviate our team name in the account name thing (where it's teamname_username), even though RaidersOfTheLostPrimes is a bit long to put in. The reason is that acronyms for this are awkward, and changing the words around a little to e.g. PrimeRaiders or LostPrimeRaiders loses the Raiders of the Lost Ark reference and sounds weird. (like the focus is on raiding instead of primes)[/quote]

I'm with Mini-Geek on this one. I was thinking RALP instead of RLP because RLP looks too much like RIP or (heaving forbid) RPS. (lol) But RALP looks too much like Ralph. Having it spelled out is the most catchy for a name.

I would make it singular though. The movie is singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' so I'd make the team name singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Prime'.

'RaidersOfTheLostPrime' is 2 characters shorter then 'ArsTechnicaTeamPrimeRib' so the length shouldn't be an issue.

So will we need to change the ID on all of our machines? That is mine would become 'RaidersOfTheLostPrime_gdbarnes". Or would the beyind-the-scenes programs be able to figure out who goes to what team?

Gary

Mini-Geek 2008-10-26 12:59

[quote=gd_barnes;146588]I would make it singular though. The movie is singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' so I'd make the team name singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Prime'.[/quote]
I think that making it singular suggests we're looking for one or a few extremely large primes, while really we're looking for many small primes. I think the movie reference is definitely still there, and it doesn't make it sound awkward having it plural.
[quote=gd_barnes;146588]So will we need to change the ID on all of our machines? That is mine would become 'RaidersOfTheLostPrime_gdbarnes". Or would the beyind-the-scenes programs be able to figure out who goes to what team?[/quote]
I'm pretty sure we should have to change our IDs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it'd be possible to hardcode our usernames to this team.
This makes me think of something else, though: are teams supposed to be counted on LLRnet only, or can my manual work be counted towards the team? If it's the former, I'll most likely have the lowest rank of anyone there (which I might just have anyway, even if it's the latter, since I only have two Athlon cores :smile:).

mdettweiler 2008-10-26 13:19

[quote=gd_barnes;146588]I'm with Mini-Geek on this one. I was thinking RALP instead of RLP because RLP looks too much like RIP or (heaving forbid) RPS. (lol) But RALP looks too much like Ralph. Having it spelled out is the most catchy for a name.

I would make it singular though. The movie is singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' so I'd make the team name singular as in 'Raiders of the Lost Prime'.

'RaidersOfTheLostPrime' is 2 characters shorter then 'ArsTechnicaTeamPrimeRib' so the length shouldn't be an issue.

So will we need to change the ID on all of our machines? That is mine would become 'RaidersOfTheLostPrime_gdbarnes". Or would the beyind-the-scenes programs be able to figure out who goes to what team?

Gary[/quote]
Okay, I see what you're saying--yeah, that probably would be better. :smile:

As for the username change thing: Well, the standard naming convention that we're using would be for you to change yours to "RaidersOfTheLostPrime_gd_barnes". The server should be able figure out the extra underscore, at least if its behind-the-scenes work is anything similar to my Perl script from before--this has happened for at least one username before, namely "Team_Italia_ET_" which is even more complicated because of an underscore in the name; I'm not sure how my Perl script handled that one (though it seems to have worked OK). :smile:

But, you know...now that you mention it, we *could* have the stats server keep track of team names without team prefixes of any kind. As I remember those were originally inserted back when we were using Karsten's manually updated stats, since otherwise he'd have to painstakingly keep track of who's on what team in a separate file. But now that we have an automated setup, yes, that would work. In fact, I remember that back when Adam was running the stats server we had to do just that, albeit for a short time, when we needed to jump through some hoops regarding Brucifer's stats. Namely: we had to rename his username to just "Brucifer" (though note: it was still marked as team AMDUsers at this time), then combine his stats with those from a secondary no-team username that he had done a bit of work on, thus ensuring that his PAST results stayed with AMDUsers, but any results after the switcheroo (as well as those from the secondary username) would go to team "-".

Long story short: yes, the server doesn't have any problem with keeping track of team names without prefixes. So, I make a proposal: why don't we make the team prefixes optional (like they are on many other projects which used to require them but since abandoned them)? Users who currently have prefixes wouldn't have to change anything, and new users would have the choice of whether or not to use a prefix (which may or may not be convenient, especially if they have lots of results submitted under a no-team, no-prefix username).

Opinions, anyone? :smile:

Flatlander 2008-10-26 15:45

I think it should be plural,
RaidersOfTheLostPrimes :tu:

imho Singular sounds like we're looking for just one specific prime.

IronBits 2008-10-26 15:52

SeekersOfTheLostPrime
SearchersOfLostPrimes

I don't think you are Raiding anything are you? :wink:

I think we should drop the Team_name all together.
We can load the team names into the database and assign it that way.
This way, if someone wants to team hop, pain in the butt as it would be, it can be changed in the db affiliation. I think that is how it's done in many projects...

mdettweiler 2008-10-26 18:33

[quote=IronBits;146635]SeekersOfTheLostPrime
SearchersOfLostPrimes

This way, if someone wants to team hop, pain in the butt as it would be, it can be changed in the db affiliation. I think that is how it's done in many projects...[/quote]
In fact, that's the way it was done on Adam's old server--since your stats setup is an offshoot of his code, you should find that under the Admin page there's a handy-dandy little thing that lets you adjust which users are marked under what teams in the database. And then, if someone changes teams, it would be even simpler than what you were saying: simply change the user's team affiliation in the database, and the old results stay with the old team, while all new results go to the new team.

As for the team name in the username: the reason why I suggested having it as optional was so that we wouldn't have to mess with changing the usernames on all the millions of results already returned with team names in the usernames. What I was thinking was, the stats server would just completely ignore team names in the usernames, and instead just check the database directly to find a user's team affiliation. (Essentially, the user would be choosing to include the team name as part of their username if they so wished, though it would be completely irrelevant to the server.)

mdettweiler 2008-10-26 18:34

[quote=Flatlander;146634]I think it should be plural,

imho Singular sounds like we're looking for just one specific prime.[/quote]
Good point. Having it singular would be more fitting if we were, say, a conjecture search that was down to its last k or something like that. :smile:

gd_barnes 2008-10-26 19:58

[quote=Flatlander;146634]I think it should be plural,

imho Singular sounds like we're looking for just one specific prime.[/quote]

OK, I'll go with plural. The logic makes sense.

gd_barnes 2008-10-26 20:10

[quote=IronBits;146635]SeekersOfTheLostPrime
SearchersOfLostPrimes

This way, if someone wants to team hop, pain in the butt as it would be, it can be changed in the db affiliation. I think that is how it's done in many projects...[/quote]

I read somewhere, I think in the Free-DC forum, that Bok and/or Ironbits were designing things such that there would be a database of people associated to teams. That's why I wondered if we'd need to have a team name in our ID.

Can that database be set up in the near future?

Based on the discussion, here is a plan of action:

1. I think it's decided, let's start a new team called "RaidersOfTheLostPrimes". I don't know if it can have spaces like "Ars Technica Team Prime Rib". If so, that would be good. Carlos or David or whomever, can you set that up for us?

2. I guess anyone can be leader of the group. It doesn't have to be an admin. Any volunteers?

Assuming the above database of team names/people in them is a viable option, the following likely needs to be done:

1. Set up the database of team names and people in them.

2. After #1 is done, David or whomever can do it, can you write something to convert all of the user ID's in existing results to remove the team name from them?

3. Karsten or Anon, do you need to modify any automated scripts that you have written that tabulate results or totals based on the removal of the team names from all of the ID's?

Is there anything else anyone can think of?

Gary

mdettweiler 2008-10-26 21:21

[quote=gd_barnes;146654]I read somewhere, I think in the Free-DC forum, that Bok and/or Ironbits were designing things such that there would be a database of people associated to teams. That's why I wondered if we'd need to have a team name in our ID.

Can that database be set up in the near future?

Based on the discussion, here is a plan of action:

1. I think it's decided, let's start a new team called "RaidersOfTheLostPrimes". I don't know if it can have spaces like "Ars Technica Team Prime Rib". If so, that would be good. Carlos or David or whomever, can you set that up for us?[/quote]
If Adam's server was any indication, then spaces should be no problem. Since David's server is based on Adam's previous setup, we've already got a partial user/team database set up--we'll just need to add a few users to various teams to get it updated to our current status.

[quote]2. I guess anyone can be leader of the group. It doesn't have to be an admin. Any volunteers?

Assuming the above database of team names/people in them is a viable option, the following likely needs to be done:

1. Set up the database of team names and people in them.[/quote]
As I said earlier, we already have a partial database set up on David's stats server since the whole master DB was copied from Adam's server; even though we don't have automated import of stats data set up yet, it should still work fine for storing our database (and thus all that stuff will just fall into place when the automated stats import comes online). We also have our list in this thread to base things off of.

[quote]2. After #1 is done, David or whomever can do it, can you write something to convert all of the user ID's in existing results to remove the team name from them?[/quote]
Hmm...I'm not so sure that we should go and remove team names from existing usernames. I think we should just leave the team names there, and treat them as part of the usernames (as we sort of always have, except that we just won't be needing to parse out the data anymore). Otherwise, we have quite a large potential for mess once we get the stats imports flowing again. I'll use Carlos's username as an example here (hope you don't mind, Carlos :smile:) since he's submitted a fair amount of results under his username with the team name included (Free-DC_em99010pepe). We remove the team names from the usernames on all results, hence his results would be listed under just "em99010pepe". But then what happens when his machines keep submitting results under "Free-DC_em9910pepe" (possibly because he's got lots of machines spread all over the place and he won't necessarily be able to get them all switched over at the same time)? Then we have TWO usernames showing up in the stats, and David will have one heck of a job to do when he has to keep re-merging double usernames for many of our users. :smile:

My suggestion is this: simply have whatever scripts David will use to import the stats data ignore the team names in the usernames from now on, and instead just look in the database to find out who's on what team. Then, if users wish to have their team names removed from their usernames (though some may prefer to leave it on there, as a sort of team affiliation badge), they can simply say so here in this thread (alternatively, they could email/PM David directly) and he could remove the team name from those particular usernames. (This will probably end up saving David work in the long run, since my guess is that this would probably have to be done manually anyway.)

[quote]3. Karsten or Anon, do you need to modify any automated scripts that you have written that tabulate results or totals based on the removal of the team names from all of the ID's?[/quote]
Well, the only script that I have that needs to mess with this stuff is the script I used to convert results to CSV files for importing into Adam's stats server, and since that's going to be handled automatically by David anyway for importing into his server, my script is now deprecated except for possibly use as example code in developing the new stuff. :smile: (Of course, if we ever do need to use it again for anything, such as a server hosted by someone else who doesn't have their results put online automatically like David's do, then I should be able to easily fix it to work with a user/team database instead of parsing out the team names from the username.)

em99010pepe 2008-10-26 21:26

Max,

For the moment I only have my home machine available for crunching but I hope in November to start borging more again for NPLB when I start my new work. Now is easy to change the nicks.

Carlos

mdettweiler 2008-10-26 21:28

[quote=em99010pepe;146666]Max,

For the moment I only have my home machine available for crunching but I hope in November to start borging more again for NPLB when I start my new work. Now is easy to change the nicks.

Carlos[/quote]
Ah, very good. Anyone else got any opinions on this? Because if everyone's fine with being able to change the usernames easily right now, then hey, we may as well change them all over. :smile:

gd_barnes 2008-10-27 03:27

[quote=mdettweiler;146665]If Adam's server was any indication, then spaces should be no problem. Since David's server is based on Adam's previous setup, we've already got a partial user/team database set up--we'll just need to add a few users to various teams to get it updated to our current status.

As I said earlier, we already have a partial database set up on David's stats server since the whole master DB was copied from Adam's server; even though we don't have automated import of stats data set up yet, it should still work fine for storing our database (and thus all that stuff will just fall into place when the automated stats import comes online). We also have our list in this thread to base things off of.

Hmm...I'm not so sure that we should go and remove team names from existing usernames. I think we should just leave the team names there, and treat them as part of the usernames (as we sort of always have, except that we just won't be needing to parse out the data anymore). Otherwise, we have quite a large potential for mess once we get the stats imports flowing again. I'll use Carlos's username as an example here (hope you don't mind, Carlos :smile:) since he's submitted a fair amount of results under his username with the team name included (Free-DC_em99010pepe). We remove the team names from the usernames on all results, hence his results would be listed under just "em99010pepe". But then what happens when his machines keep submitting results under "Free-DC_em9910pepe" (possibly because he's got lots of machines spread all over the place and he won't necessarily be able to get them all switched over at the same time)? Then we have TWO usernames showing up in the stats, and David will have one heck of a job to do when he has to keep re-merging double usernames for many of our users. :smile:

My suggestion is this: simply have whatever scripts David will use to import the stats data ignore the team names in the usernames from now on, and instead just look in the database to find out who's on what team. Then, if users wish to have their team names removed from their usernames (though some may prefer to leave it on there, as a sort of team affiliation badge), they can simply say so here in this thread (alternatively, they could email/PM David directly) and he could remove the team name from those particular usernames. (This will probably end up saving David work in the long run, since my guess is that this would probably have to be done manually anyway.)

Well, the only script that I have that needs to mess with this stuff is the script I used to convert results to CSV files for importing into Adam's stats server, and since that's going to be handled automatically by David anyway for importing into his server, my script is now deprecated except for possibly use as example code in developing the new stuff. :smile: (Of course, if we ever do need to use it again for anything, such as a server hosted by someone else who doesn't have their results put online automatically like David's do, then I should be able to easily fix it to work with a user/team database instead of parsing out the team names from the username.)

Max :smile:[/quote]

OK, I'll leave it up to Max, Carlos, and David to figure all this stuff out.

How do we go about getting the 'Raiders of the Lost Primes' team set up?

Gary

mdettweiler 2008-10-27 03:52

[quote=gd_barnes;146722]OK, I'll leave it up to Max, Carlos, and David to figure all this stuff out.

How do we go about getting the 'Raiders of the Lost Primes' team set up?

Gary[/quote]
Well, I guess the main thing to do is to get it listed in the first post of this thread--pretty easy. Then David will need to add it to his teams database, and we have all the necessary bases covered for a team! :smile:

We could then go about setting up some extra goodies such as a team forum (we'd probably want to host that off-site, since mersenneforum doesn't have a clear section of subforums devoted to teams' internal forums). Another thing that teams often do is set up a stats aggregator site, but since our team so far is limited to NPLB alone, that would be somewhat pointless (and besides, other teams like Free-DC have already got really nice stats systems set up that do the job fine--why even try to compete? :smile:).

Edit: I've added the Raiders of the Lost Primes team to the list in the first post of this thread, with Gary as the leader and me as a regular member. :smile: (Gary, I'm assuming you're fine with being the leader, if not just give a holler. :wink:) I didn't add anyone else for now since I figured we should wait for "official" declarations from the rest of our "planning committee" of sorts that they'd like to join the team.

kar_bon 2008-10-27 11:00

oh, i don't mind to kick off such a big discussion of the team names!

so, i will join the Raiders then, too!

one remark: the discussion of the team name is not a problem of the names, better a problem of the database:
if there were tables for results, users and teams it would be easiest as is.
change a team name in the team-table but the id (the link to the users) is not affected!

so it's good to invest much time in database creation before set up a database.
that's why i don't have it done yet with a database for rieselprime.org! timeconsuming!

Mini-Geek 2008-10-27 13:12

I'll join too, of course. :smile: Add me to the list. So, do I need to put RaidersOfTheLostPrimes_ in front of my user name or are we going to do that in the backend?

Flatlander 2008-10-27 13:34

[quote=Mini-Geek;146774]I'll join too, of course. :smile: ... [/quote]

Sign me up too!

mdettweiler 2008-10-27 14:12

[quote=Mini-Geek;146774]I'll join too, of course. :smile: Add me to the list. So, do I need to put RaidersOfTheLostPrimes_ in front of my user name or are we going to do that in the backend?[/quote]
Nope, no need to mess with your username--we'll do that behind the scenes. :smile:

mdettweiler 2008-10-27 14:14

[quote=kar_bon;146763]oh, i don't mind to kick off such a big discussion of the team names!

so, i will join the Raiders then, too!

one remark: the discussion of the team name is not a problem of the names, better a problem of the database:
if there were tables for results, users and teams it would be easiest as is.
change a team name in the team-table but the id (the link to the users) is not affected!

so it's good to invest much time in database creation before set up a database.
that's why i don't have it done yet with a database for rieselprime.org! timeconsuming![/quote]
Well, first of all, David, does the Admin link on stats.ironbits.net actually work? I tried clicking on it and got "permission denied" (rather than a password box as I got on Adam's server). Does this mean that it actually works but the permissions are messed up?

If that works, then I'm thinking that would be the best place to keep our database of users/teams since it's already partially built.

mdettweiler 2008-10-27 19:49

Raiders of the Lost Primes forum

[quote=mdettweiler;146726]...

We could then go about setting up some extra goodies such as a team forum (we'd probably want to host that off-site, since mersenneforum doesn't have a clear section of subforums devoted to teams' internal forums). Another thing that teams often do is set up a stats aggregator site, but since our team so far is limited to NPLB alone, that would be somewhat pointless (and besides, other teams like Free-DC have already got really nice stats systems set up that do the job fine--why even try to compete? :smile:).[/quote]
Well, I did some research into free forum hosting places, and found a nice place that does free phpBB hosting with no ads either. I would have preferred to use vBulletin, but since vBulletin is $180 per license, phpBB was the next best choice. :smile:

My application to the Forum Gerbils Commission was received promptly, and they have assigned two gerbils to our forum for their first field assignment. These gerbils are apparently the nephews of one of the famed Mersenneforum.org Gerbils (though I'm not sure exactly which one they're related to), and were trained under their tutelage. They are anxious for some new posts to play around with. :smile:

I would, however, like to see about replacing the default phpBB smilies. They look like weird ovals instead of the little round smilies we've come to know and love. Ideally, I would like to use the mersenneforum smilies, but I haven't quite figured out how to upload individual smiley images yet.

Anyway, without further ado, here's where to find the new forum:

[URL]http://raidersofthelostprimes.phpbb.net[/URL]

Let me know what you think! :smile:

P.S.: I've also set up a backup forum for NPLB there, in case mersenneforum goes down for whatever reason. Not that mersenneforum goes down much, but hey, it never hurts to be prepared. :smile:

Xyzzy 2008-10-27 20:21

[quote]P.S.: I've also set up a backup forum for NPLB there, in case mersenneforum goes down for whatever reason. Not that mersenneforum goes down much, but hey, it never hurts to be prepared. :smile:[/quote]
[url]http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.php?Id=27853&&UserId=42211[/url]

:mike:

mdettweiler 2008-10-28 01:41

[quote=mdettweiler;146821]Well, I did some research into free forum hosting places, and found a nice place that does free phpBB hosting with no ads either. I would have preferred to use vBulletin, but since vBulletin is $180 per license, phpBB was the next best choice. :smile:

My application to the Forum Gerbils Commission was received promptly, and they have assigned two gerbils to our forum for their first field assignment. These gerbils are apparently the nephews of one of the famed Mersenneforum.org Gerbils (though I'm not sure exactly which one they're related to), and were trained under their tutelage. They are anxious for some new posts to play around with. :smile:

I would, however, like to see about replacing the default phpBB smilies. They look like weird ovals instead of the little round smilies we've come to know and love. Ideally, I would like to use the mersenneforum smilies, but I haven't quite figured out how to upload individual smiley images yet.

Anyway, without further ado, here's where to find the new forum:

[URL]http://raidersofthelostprimes.phpbb.net[/URL]

Let me know what you think! :smile:

P.S.: I've also set up a backup forum for NPLB there, in case mersenneforum goes down for whatever reason. Not that mersenneforum goes down much, but hey, it never hurts to be prepared. :smile:[/quote]
Okay, scratch all that: Xyzzy (Mike) has offered an even better solution, namely to have our team forum hosted in a subforum off of the NPLB forum here at mersenneforum.org. In keeping with Mike's usual sense of humor it has apparently been named "Oakland Raiders" instead of "Raiders of the Lost Primes". :smile:

Gary, I'll leave it up to you to go ahead and post some welcome material in the new forum. :smile:

As for the "old" forum that never ended up getting used--well, hey, maybe Gary and I can put it to good use by using its PM system to avoid filling our ever-full mersenneforum PM boxes with our frequent correspondence. :wink:

mdettweiler 2008-10-28 01:59

[quote=mdettweiler;146871]Okay, scratch all that: Xyzzy (Mike) has offered an even better solution, namely to have our team forum hosted in a subforum off of the NPLB forum here at mersenneforum.org. In keeping with Mike's usual sense of humor it has apparently been named "Oakland Raiders" instead of "Raiders of the Lost Primes". :smile:

Gary, I'll leave it up to you to go ahead and post some welcome material in the new forum. :smile:

As for the "old" forum that never ended up getting used--well, hey, maybe Gary and I can put it to good use by using its PM system to avoid filling our ever-full mersenneforum PM boxes with our frequent correspondence. :wink:[/quote]
Ah, I see Xyzzy has now fixed the forum name. Thanks, Mike! :grin:

One thing I forgot to mention: Mike set it up as a password-protected forum to emphasize the fact that it's a team forum instead of a whole separate project and thus avoid confusion. The password is "[B]12345[/B]" (without quotes). (Gary, don't be surprised if you're not asked for a password, since it seems that moderators don't have to enter a password to get in.) :smile:

IronBits 2008-10-28 09:10

We should remove Team_UserName and just have UserName ...
Bok tells me he has the db all setup for that now.

gd_barnes 2008-10-28 10:11

[quote=IronBits;146913]We should remove Team_UserName and just have UserName ...
Bok tells me he has the db all setup for that now.[/quote]

That would be great.

Would it have an impact on the tabulation of previous results that have the team name in the ID's?

Gary

IronBits 2008-10-28 15:46

Don't think so, if you already have a known team name in the username, you either ignore the team name, or edit the username value to strip all team names out of the database that match. ;)

gd_barnes 2008-10-28 23:27

[quote=IronBits;146939]Don't think so, if you already have a known team name in the username, you either ignore the team name, or edit the username value to strip all team names out of the database that match. ;)[/quote]

Max,

Assuming that we go the route of user ID's without team names, can you write a script to remove all the team names from prior results?

David,

When you get to that point, let us know whether the team name on all prior results can be ignored by your tabulation process or whether we need to write a script to strip the team names from all of them.

Thanks,
Gary

gd_barnes 2008-10-28 23:51

I made a sticky out of this thread for a little while anyway. I've also added a welcome message in the 'Raiders of the Lost Primes' sub-forum.

Mike (Xyzzy) or whomever wants to check it,

Does everyone have access to the aforementioned sub-forum? I ask because it looks a little bit intrusive to non-team members, both from the main forum and from the NPLB forum. For non-team members, it would probably be better if they can't see it there. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Does anyone else have any opinions on the intrusiveness of the team sub-forum? Can everyone see it or just team members at the moment?

I'd certainly like to push for new members for 'our team' but don't want it in everyone's face either. Carlos, how do the team forums work at Free-DC?

Gary

Mini-Geek 2008-10-29 00:08

It's visible to everybody (I just logged out and it was still visible).

mdettweiler 2008-10-29 02:27

[quote=gd_barnes;146999]Max,

Assuming that we go the route of user ID's without team names, can you write a script to remove all the team names from prior results?[/quote]
Actually, that shouldn't be necessary at all. :smile: That's because the only thing that needs to worry about the team names at all is David's stats system--and he'll be removing the team names from the results on his end anyway. The only thing that you and I do with the results is processing them into regular LLR-compatible results, which just throws out the extra LLRnet-added info (i.e. username and time/date) anyway. :smile:

em99010pepe 2008-11-02 10:48

Please add Kman1293 to Free-DC Team.

mdettweiler 2008-11-02 14:18

[quote=em99010pepe;147553]Please add Kman1293 to Free-DC Team.[/quote]
Done. :smile:

MrOzzy 2008-11-03 07:44

So whats good about these teams, do you get cake or something? :-) I'm still "undecided" :-)

paleseptember 2008-11-03 21:23

It's competition, a motivating factor, a bit of fun. No other reason. (*cough* Go Free-DC!!)

:groupwave:

MrOzzy 2008-11-04 15:55

If I ever join a team I personally would prefer one that is involved in both nplb and crus. I would mostly expect some advice and such from a team (what programs to use, how to approach things, ...)

em99010pepe 2008-11-04 22:46

[quote=MrOzzy;147826]If I ever join a team I personally would prefer one that is involved in both nplb and crus. I would mostly expect some advice and such from a team (what programs to use, how to approach things, ...)[/quote]

The right team is Free-DC, we host the stats, we host almost all servers, we run both projects, we know how to use all programs, etc.

BTW, IB joined the forum in 2002, I joined in 2004, we are the oldest from this bunch of guys.

Carlos

gd_barnes 2008-11-05 01:44

[quote=em99010pepe;147892]The right team is Free-DC, we host the stats, we host almost all servers, we run both projects, we know how to use all programs, etc.

BTW, IB joined the forum in 2002, I joined in 2004, we are the oldest from this bunch of guys.

Carlos[/quote]

:bs meter:

Eh, hum...cough-cough choke bleh OMG, I'm think I'm gonna heave...oh, no...blehhhhhh, barffffff! (ewe, gross) Sheesh, I think I feel better now and I have two words for this post:

BOVINE SCATOLOGY

:missingteeth::missingteeth:

Free-DC runs the projects? People in Free-DC may run the servers but the admins in 'Raiders of the Lost Primes' run the PROJECTS.

Free-DC is a noble team but Raiders will be spankin' them in the rallies. If you wanna be with a winner, you better join 'Raiders'. :smile:

Gary

IronBits 2008-11-05 03:47

'We run both projects' should have been phrased, "we participate in both projects". :p ;)

IronBits 2008-11-05 04:09

It would be great if everyone would make sure all their clients are configured to not use the old format of Team_UserName and just use UserName from now on to. :smile:

MrOzzy 2008-11-05 08:28

One thing I should add though, I haven't found a prime for nplb since juni I think. So far i think I'm one of the most unlucky people at nplb :p

kar_bon 2008-11-05 09:29

[QUOTE=MrOzzy;147936]One thing I should add though, I haven't found a prime for nplb since juni I think. So far i think I'm one of the most unlucky people at nplb :p[/QUOTE]

your primes:
2008/05/13 conf 617 431464
2008/05/22 new 857 431436
2008/07/03 new 949 482315

so since July the last one!

you tested no manual range and about 43,000 pairs with LLRnet.
so about 1 prime per 14,000 tested pairs.
that's really low!
hope you have more luck in the future!

MrOzzy 2008-11-05 12:23

[quote=kar_bon;147946]your primes:
2008/05/13 conf 617 431464
2008/05/22 new 857 431436
2008/07/03 new 949 482315

so since July the last one!

you tested no manual range and about 43,000 pairs with LLRnet.
so about 1 prime per 14,000 tested pairs.
that's really low!
hope you have more luck in the future![/quote]

I don't know if you already added the work I've done on carlos' server. The first 2 primes also were found in the first 300 tests I did (yeah really lucky), so only one prime for 42,700 pairs ...

IronBits 2008-11-07 04:51

Can someone contact the following to change their names so the Team is left off?
ArsTechnica_BlisteringSheep
Free-DC_tnerual

em99010pepe 2008-11-08 13:05

[quote=IronBits;148175]Can someone contact the following to change their names so the Team is left off?
Free-DC_tnerual[/quote]

I can contact BlisteringSheep by MSN.

gd_barnes 2008-11-08 23:46

[quote=IronBits;148175]Can someone contact the following to change their names so the Team is left off?
Free-DC_tnerual[/quote]

OK, I'll send a PM to tnerual. I've worked quite a bit with him in the past both here and at CRUS.

Wabbit98 2008-11-10 17:21

Hello I wish to form a new team for this project, we are a large group with many projects.

Team Name : The Knights Who Say Ni!

forum website : [url]www.kwsnforum.com[/url]

Also please add me as a member to the team.

mdettweiler 2008-11-10 18:24

[quote=Wabbit98;148661]Hello I wish to form a new team for this project, we are a large group with many projects.

forum website : [URL="http://www.kwsnforum.com"]www.kwsnforum.com[/URL]

Also please add me as a member to the team.[/quote]
Done. :smile:

MyDogBuster 2008-11-10 18:30

I think I'll throw my points towards The Raiders of the Lost Primes.
At 63 years old, I need to be surrounded by people who know what they are doing. It's an old age thing.

mdettweiler 2008-11-10 18:32

[quote=MyDogBuster;148675]I think I'll throw my points towards The Raiders of the Lost Primes.
At 63 years old, I need to be surrounded by people who know what they are doing. It's an old age thing.[/quote]
Okay, cool! :grin: :wink: I've added you to Raiders of the Lost Primes both in this thread and in our stats system. :smile:

Flatlander 2008-11-10 18:45

[quote=MyDogBuster;148675]I think I'll throw my points towards The Raiders of the Lost Primes.
At 63 years old, [B]I need to be surrounded by people who know what they are doing[/B]. It's an old age thing.[/quote]
I'll get my coat.

IronBits 2008-11-10 23:21

Oh no! You're hanging out with the 'kids' on the block? /smacks head :rolleyes: :wink:

em99010pepe 2008-11-10 23:26

[quote=Wabbit98;148661]Hello I wish to form a new team for this project, we are a large group with many projects.

forum website : [URL="http://www.kwsnforum.com"]www.kwsnforum.com[/URL]

Also please add me as a member to the team.[/quote]

Welcome, please bring some friends.

Wabbit98 2008-11-11 00:11

I will try but we are involved in almost every DC project our there and easily distracted by shiny spoons.

Ni

Mini-Geek 2008-11-11 12:16

[quote=Wabbit98;148746]I will try but we are involved in almost every DC project our there and easily distracted by shiny spoons.

Ni[/quote]
If we bring you two shrubberies will you focus more on NPLB? :smile:

tnerual 2008-11-11 21:05

[QUOTE=IronBits;148175]Can someone contact the following to change their names so the Team is left off?
Free-DC_tnerual[/QUOTE]

will be done in 2 week :(

it's my mother computer ...

gd_barnes 2008-11-11 21:26

[quote=tnerual;148892]will be done in 2 week :(

it's my mother computer ...[/quote]

Your mother computer?

Does that mean it's bigger than all the others and has children?

mdettweiler 2008-11-11 22:11

[quote=gd_barnes;148895]Your mother computer?

Does that mean it's bigger than all the others and has children?[/quote]
I think he means his mother's computer. :smile:

gd_barnes 2008-11-12 00:19

[quote=mdettweiler;148903]I think he means his mother's computer. :smile:[/quote]

duh

mdettweiler 2008-11-13 17:11

[quote=em99010pepe;148340]I can contact BlisteringSheep by MSN.[/quote]
Carlos, did you get to do this yet? :nudge: :smile: We're still receiving results from Sheep with the team name in the username.

tnerual 2008-11-13 19:34

[QUOTE=mdettweiler;148903]I think he means his mother's computer. :smile:[/QUOTE]

yeah someone that understand my bad english :smile:

by the way it's only my third language ...

so it's my mother's computer and i don't have access to it before the end of the month ...

IronBits 2008-11-14 00:01

OK, not a problem tnerual. Eventually it will get fixed, and that's really all that matters.

nuggetprime 2008-11-27 15:59

I'd like to join team Free-DC!

IronBits 2008-11-27 16:48

w00t! Welcome to aboard :grin:

PCZ 2009-01-09 15:48

add PCZ to the Free-DC team please

IronBits 2009-01-09 15:51

Done :D

em99010pepe 2009-01-11 11:08

I think Grobie is a Free-DC member but I have to check with him. He is in our team at RieselSieve.

gd_barnes 2009-01-11 11:46

Rally time...Jan. 23rd-25th

Carlos, do you think you NOW have enough free-DC'ers to beat "Raiders of the Lost Primes" in the next rally?

Not a chance! he-he-he You guys better bring some serious firepower!

That reminds me...It's rally time 2 weeks from this weekend; Jan. 23rd-25th. It will be perfect timing as our 8th drive kicks off in full gear several days before that.

Is everyone on board with that? If we run it fully on the 8th drive, we may need to reactivate a server or two.

This will be loads of fun processing huge #'s of results yet still finding top-5000 primes in a rally just above n=352K.

Gary

em99010pepe 2009-01-11 11:57

[quote=gd_barnes;158085]Carlos, do you think you NOW have enough free-DC'ers to beat "Raiders of the Lost Primes" in the next rally?

Not a chance! he-he-he You guys better bring some serious firepower!

[/quote]

Do not underestimate the power of Free-DC. We only have here like 5 % of out processing power.
Go here [url]http://supercomputer.free-dc.org/[/url] and check our not update CPU power.

Carlos