mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   New forum software... (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=5232)

Xyzzy 2005-12-29 04:31

New forum software...

The newest version (3.0.11 -> 3.5.2) of the forum software is installed now.

We have been told there are many new features that you all will really like.

If you stumble across something new that you really like, post about it here so we can all learn.

Some things may have been broken during the upgrade. Just let us know and it will get fixed. Nearly everything is adjustable so if there is something you want tweaked let us know.

Have fun!

Wacky 2005-12-29 04:44

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]Nearly everything is adjustable so if there is something you want tweaked let us know.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Mike, please turn on the "anti-crank" filter for the math forum(s).
I guess that that should also include "Puzzles". That forum seems to have gotten a bit "off-topic" with various discussions relating to Physics and Sociology.

:)

axn 2005-12-29 05:36

Firefox now recognises the availability of RSS feed automatically.

You can also log in/log out without losing track of your unread threads :banana:

jinydu 2005-12-29 06:26

Hmm... Currently, a lot of threads that I have already read (some of them as old as 6 days) are marked as unread.

cheesehead 2005-12-29 06:57

1) same as jinydu

2) When I have multiple windows open (each for a different subforum) I find once in a while that after I click on "Next Thread", that window "skips" to an entry in another subforum's thread that I finished reading in a different window a couple of minutes earlier. I'm using IE 6.

3) I'm not crazy about being shown that various postings were made "nn Minutes Ago" or "nn Hours Ago" or "nn Days Ago' or "nn Weeks Ago". Is this user-selectable (I haven't yet looked)? Can I have actual dates for more recently than a month ago?

4) But I do like that the "Edit" button brings up a small window over my entry rather than a full-screen window. :-)

axn 2005-12-29 10:04

So where do we see the list of forum moderators?!

Numbers 2005-12-29 10:26

On the main menu, click on a forum so that you can see the threads in that forum. Scroll down to the bottom and the mod's are listed on the right.

JHagerson 2005-12-29 12:39

Attachments?

With the new software I am unable to upload an attachment to a post. The button that formerly appeared in the Attach Files section is gone and an attempt to click on the paper clip icon above the message composition window does not do anything. Is this a setting or have I exceeded my quota on attached files?

Thank you for looking into this.

Xyzzy 2005-12-29 15:35

1 Attachment(s)
Test.

axn 2005-12-29 16:20

[QUOTE=Numbers]On the main menu, click on a forum so that you can see the threads in that forum. Scroll down to the bottom and the mod's are listed on the right.[/QUOTE]
D'oh. It seems I have been looking in the wrong forums!

After some sleuthing, I've found out that the following forums don't have any mods:[code]Lounge
Software
Data
Teams
mersennewiki.org
Soap Box
Linux
Science & Technology
Gaming
Forum Feedback[/code]

akruppa 2005-12-29 16:24

Btw, the user names come in different colours now. What do they mean?

Alex

axn 2005-12-29 16:29

[QUOTE=akruppa]Btw, the user names come in different colours now. What do they mean?

Alex[/QUOTE]
Looks like super-mods get red, mods get green. Also looks like Xyzzy has been playing with it :wink: Earlier it was bold and italics !

gribozavr 2005-12-29 17:22

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]Nearly everything is adjustable so if there is something you want tweaked let us know.[/QUOTE]

If "Memebers list" and "Calendar" are disabled anyway, could you please remove links to them from top of the page?

[QUOTE=JHagerson]The button that formerly appeared in the Attach Files section is gone and an attempt to click on the paper clip icon above the message composition window does not do anything.[/QUOTE]

The same. Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050826 Firefox/1.0.4 (Debian package 1.0.4-2sarge3)

paulunderwood 2005-12-29 17:49

removing deleted messages

How do I now remove from the logged-in members' views those messages I have deleted? :down:

Xyzzy 2005-12-29 17:54

[quote=axn1]After some sleuthing, I've found out that the following forums don't have any mods:[/quote]
Super mods cover all of those.

Xyzzy 2005-12-29 17:56

[quote=gribozavr]If "Memebers list" and "Calendar" are disabled anyway, could you please remove links to them from top of the page?[/quote]That hopefully will be fixed today. We had to revert the old forum templates to do the upgrade so now we have to go back in and edit the source files.

[quote]The same. Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050826 Firefox/1.0.4 (Debian package 1.0.4-2sarge3)[/quote]We are running Firefox on Debian (Etch) with no problems. We are still looking into it though.

Xyzzy 2005-12-29 18:03

[quote=paulunderwood]How do I now remove from the logged-in members' views those messages I have deleted?[/quote]Can you explain that better or provide an example? We are not sure we understand the question.

paulunderwood 2005-12-29 18:17

At 321 people leave a message to reserve a range. I delete these messages when I enter them into a database.

Before there was a switch under "manage" to send them to the moderator queue and, hey presto, the deleted file were no longer visible.

If you can see deleted messages here then you'll see what I mean:
[url]http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=4301[/url]
(I can't' get rid of them...)

Xyzzy 2005-12-29 18:23

[quote=paulunderwood]Before there was a switch under "manage" to send them to the moderator queue and, hey presto, the deleted file were no longer visible.[/quote]We think only moderators can see those messages. We prune all the "soft-deleted" messages about once a week, at which point we think they will disappear.

Edit: For some reason your deletions don't show up in the mod queue. Hmm.

rogue 2005-12-29 19:07

I've noticed that the forum no longer knows what it new when I log in. Everything updated thread in the past week is showing as if it has new messages.

Xyzzy 2005-12-29 19:48

[quote=rogue]I've noticed that the forum no longer knows what it new when I log in. Everything updated thread in the past week is showing as if it has new messages.[/quote]
Before, we used cookies to keep track of read threads. Now that info is stored directly in the database.

So once the system learns what you have read everything should work fine.

Xyzzy 2005-12-29 19:59

The search engine has been overhauled to support "natural language" or "boolean" queries. The database is indexed down to 3 letter words. From the few tests we have thrown at it, search results are a lot more relevant. Please test the search engine and provide some feedback. There are several (poorly documented) tunable parameters we can change.

ewmayer 2005-12-29 21:24

I like the new in-page post-editing feature! Saves a nice amount of mouseclicks and page reloads.

jinydu 2005-12-30 01:51

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]Before, we used cookies to keep track of read threads. Now that info is stored directly in the database.

So once the system learns what you have read everything should work fine.[/QUOTE]

So the system lost all information about what threads I viewed before the upgrade?

Numbers 2005-12-30 13:40

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]Please test the search engine and provide some feedback.[/QUOTE]

If I do a search and get, say, 20 hits, after I pick one and find it is not what I was looking for, is there any way I can go back to my search results, or do I just have to repeat the search?

alpertron 2005-12-30 14:42

I usually use the context menu right-clicking on the link in order to open a new window, so if the new page is not the one I was looking for, I just close it and choose another link.

Prime95 2005-12-30 15:19

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]So once the system learns what you have read everything should work fine.[/QUOTE]

I hate the new system.

Under the old system, I'd logon, see the icon that there are new messages in the Lounge, click on the Lounge, read only those items that interest me, and logoff. The cookie, in effect, marked all lounge articles as read so that when I next logon the Lounge icon will be highlighted only if there have been new posts since my last logon.

Under the new system, the Lounge icon remains highlighted because I did not read *every* new post, including the ones I do not care about.

smh 2005-12-30 15:52

Under 'Quick Links', there is an option 'Mark Forums Read'

Prime95 2005-12-30 16:06

[QUOTE=smh]Under 'Quick Links', there is an option 'Mark Forums Read'[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately with the new software you have to do this every time. Furthermore, if new messages were posted between the time you logged on and the time you click 'mark forums read' then these messages will erroneously be marked read.

Xyzzy 2005-12-30 16:58

We read the forum by opening the "new posts" page and then opening all the threads we want to read in new tabs, and then we mark all forums read.

We think we have an option to revert to the old cookie method.

Should we post a poll to choose which method we want to use?

Xyzzy 2005-12-30 17:00

[quote=Numbers]If I do a search and get, say, 20 hits, after I pick one and find it is not what I was looking for, is there any way I can go back to my search results, or do I just have to repeat the search?[/quote]Hitting the backspace key works here.

Xyzzy 2005-12-30 17:01

[quote=Prime95]Under the old system, I'd logon, see the icon that there are new messages in the Lounge, click on the Lounge, read only those items that interest me, and logoff.[/quote] Do you actually log on and off or just close the window?

Xyzzy 2005-12-30 17:03

[quote=alpertron]I usually use the context menu right-clicking on the link in order to open a new window, so if the new page is not the one I was looking for, I just close it and choose another link.[/quote]
We do the same thing, using tabs. It kills us when we have to use IE to read the forum.

Zeta-Flux 2005-12-30 17:26

I agree with Prime95. I'd liked when the forums were highlighted only if there were new posts since my last visit, rather than unread posts.

xilman 2005-12-30 18:01

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]We read the forum by opening the "new posts" page and then opening all the threads we want to read in new tabs, and then we mark all forums read.

We think we have an option to revert to the old cookie method.

Should we post a poll to choose which method we want to use?[/QUOTE]I use the same approach as Mike.

If we have a poll, I'll vote to keep the new behaviour. Cookies have been so badly misused by so many sites in the past that I refuse them except in exceptional cases. In consequence, I have to put mersenneforum.org into my list of acceptable sites. Once in their it is ok, but having to do so on all the machines I use is a pain.

Even worse, two different browsers on two different machine will have two different sets of cookies. I firmly believe that the server should be keeping track of all this and not the browser.

Paul

axn 2005-12-30 18:24

I hated the old cookie method. If I come to the forum and leave the browser idling for some time, automatic session timeout happens; and then all traces of unread posts go poof! The new system rocks!

Prime95 2005-12-30 18:41

[QUOTE=axn1]I hated the old cookie method.[/QUOTE]

Just goes to show you can't please everybody.

Xyzzy, I don't logoff - I just close the window (or go to some other website).

Prime95 2005-12-30 18:46

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]We read the forum by opening the "new posts" page and then opening all the threads we want to read in new tabs, and then we mark all forums read.

We think we have an option to revert to the old cookie method.[/QUOTE]

I'll try using your browsing method. I'm old and set in my ways, but ocassionally I can be trained to adopt new methods.

It would be nice if the software offered a user preference (show all unread posts OR show new posts since last visit). I agree that storing the data on the server is better than cookies as sometimes I access the forum from multiple computers

akruppa 2005-12-30 18:54

Can we have a button to mark the current forum read and go straight back to the forum index? Without going through another page that merely tells us that we'll soon go where we meant to?

Alex

ewmayer 2005-12-30 21:30

George - there may be another option for folks like you. I hadn't even noticed the new read/unread behavior, apparently because I always browse the forum (and most other websites) with image-rendering turned off - it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've done so, it's so much more relaxing, focusing on ideas, not graphics. Anyway, in this mode, the indicator I get that a thread has new posts is that the thread title is boldfaced - and strangely enough, that seems to work exactly as before for me, even though I would've expected it to be governed by the same cookies that trigger the new-post graphics.

Could someone else try this in their browser (I'm using Firefox, and there it's Tools->Options->Web Features, unclick "Load Images") and let us know what they see?

An added bonus of images-disabled: faster page loads, especially nice if you've got a less-than-superfast internet connection.

Xyzzy 2005-12-30 23:34

Neat new feature:

In the private messaging area, type the first few characters of the recipient's name. After a brief pause, the system lists all members that match those letters.

Xyzzy 2005-12-30 23:39

[quote=akruppa]Can we have a button to mark the current forum read and go straight back to the forum index? Without going through another page that merely tells us that we'll soon go where we meant to?[/quote]Are you talking about the intermediate pages that tell you a task has completed? Like:

[B]"This forum has been marked as read and its new post indicator will now be off."[/B]

There is an option to kill all of those screens if that is what you all want.

From the documentation:

[I]Enabling this option will remove the update pages that are displayed after a user makes a post, starts a search, etc. These pages provide assurance to the user that their information has been processed by the forum. Disabling these pages will save you bandwidth and may lessen the load of the forum on your server.

Note: Some pages will still use the redirection page when cookies are involved to prevent some potential problems.[/I]

Xyzzy 2005-12-30 23:43

[quote=Prime95]It would be nice if the software offered a user preference (show all unread posts OR show new posts since last visit). I agree that storing the data on the server is better than cookies as sometimes I access the forum from multiple computers[/quote]
It is set to "3" right now. We wonder if "2" is what we really want?

[I]This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read. [/I][LIST=1][*][I]Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

[/I][*][I]Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

[/I][*][I]Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.[/I][/LIST]

akruppa 2005-12-30 23:55

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]
There is an option to kill all of those screens if that is what you all want.
[/QUOTE]

I think that would be nice.

Alex

sdbardwick 2005-12-31 00:51

I agree with Alex.

Xyzzy 2005-12-31 01:20

Redirection pages have been removed.

moo 2005-12-31 05:22

Wow gone 2 days and we get new forum software -_- well happy holidays everyone...

Numbers 2005-12-31 10:19

In most other forums I use the guy running it just sets the preferences and it is up to users to get used to the way it is. I think the very existence of this thread, where Xyzzy invites a discussion about these issues is a huge credit to him. Thank you Xyzzy.

Could you possibly extend the time before a user time-outs? It is becoming rather annoying having to log-in four or five times per session.

(I had to log-in again to post this message)

Thank you.

garo 2005-12-31 17:13

I like the new setup too. It took me a while to get used to - I use the same procedure as Xyzzy and akruppa to browse the forums - but once I did it works fine for me now. The good thing is that sometimes I do a new post search but do not have time to read all the posts. Now, these posts do not disappear like they used to in the cookie method but stay visible in the next search under the "[B]The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." [/B]line.Much Much better!

No problems then except for the dates thing. I much prefer to see the actual post time rather than relatively uninformative messages saying 1 week ago etc. If I remember correctly, the same problem cropped up when the forum software was last updated but was then fixed.

And kudos to Xyzzy for his marvellous work.

R. Gerbicz 2005-12-31 23:24

1 Attachment(s)
I was only on the forum after midnight. This is a record, isn't it?
See:

Xyzzy 2005-12-31 23:44

[quote=R. Gerbicz]I was only on the forum after midnight. This is a record, isn't it?[/quote]We think the record for fewest visitors is zero, but we have no way of recording a screenshot of it.

Xyzzy 2005-12-31 23:48

[quote=Numbers]Could you possibly extend the time before a user time-outs? It is becoming rather annoying having to log-in four or five times per session.[/quote]Changed from 5 minutes to 15.

We have never been logged out of the forum unless we ask to. How are you all getting logged out automatically?

Xyzzy 2005-12-31 23:51

[quote=garo]No problems then except for the dates thing. I much prefer to see the actual post time rather than relatively uninformative messages saying 1 week ago etc. If I remember correctly, the same problem cropped up when the forum software was last updated but was then fixed.[/quote]Changed. We don't need the year displayed, right? If you prefer a different layout give us an example and we will try to replicate it.

Numbers 2006-01-01 02:28

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]Changed from 5 minutes to 15.
We have never been logged out of the forum unless we ask to. How are you all getting logged out automatically?[/QUOTE]
Thank you.
I think I am probably more susceptible to this than most because I always write my posts in another programme and paste them into the forum. I guess that if the forum thinks I am no longer active it logs me off after a couple (you said 5) minutes. Changing it to 15 should be ample. Thank you.

cheesehead 2006-01-01 10:56

[quote=Xyzzy]We don't need the year displayed, right?[/quote]I just went to a thread whose top entries were dated as late Dec, so I expected to see recent postings right under them. Rroonnnggg -- they were two (or more?) years old. So I prefer to have the year displayed. :)

ltd 2006-01-01 14:29

Any news about removing deleted posts from view?
As PSP has some reservation threads it would be nice to have that back.
At the moment we moved the posts into a "to be deleted thread".

Lars

Xyzzy 2006-01-02 15:18

[quote=cheesehead]I just went to a thread whose top entries were dated as late Dec, so I expected to see recent postings right under them. Rroonnnggg -- they were two (or more?) years old. So I prefer to have the year displayed. :)[/quote]Year added.

Xyzzy 2006-01-02 15:33

[quote=ltd]Any news about removing deleted posts from view?
As PSP has some reservation threads it would be nice to have that back.
At the moment we moved the posts into a "to be deleted thread".[/quote]
Try it now.

ltd 2006-01-02 18:16

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]Try it now.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.
Works much easier then with the old forum software.
Now i love the new forum.

Lars

cheesehead 2006-01-03 05:24

[quote=Xyzzy]Year added.[/quote]

Thanks, Xyzzy! :smile:

PhilF 2006-01-03 06:29

Now that you've gotten it all tweaked, I really like this new software too!

I am curious. What is the definition of an "Active Member"?

Xyzzy 2006-01-03 18:19

[quote=PhilF]I am curious. What is the definition of an "Active Member"?[/quote]
It is set to be the number of unique members who have logged in during the last week.