mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   New forum software... (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=5232)

sdbardwick 2005-12-31 00:51

I agree with Alex.

Xyzzy 2005-12-31 01:20

Redirection pages have been removed.

moo 2005-12-31 05:22

Wow gone 2 days and we get new forum software -_- well happy holidays everyone...

Numbers 2005-12-31 10:19

In most other forums I use the guy running it just sets the preferences and it is up to users to get used to the way it is. I think the very existence of this thread, where Xyzzy invites a discussion about these issues is a huge credit to him. Thank you Xyzzy.

Could you possibly extend the time before a user time-outs? It is becoming rather annoying having to log-in four or five times per session.

(I had to log-in again to post this message)

Thank you.

garo 2005-12-31 17:13

I like the new setup too. It took me a while to get used to - I use the same procedure as Xyzzy and akruppa to browse the forums - but once I did it works fine for me now. The good thing is that sometimes I do a new post search but do not have time to read all the posts. Now, these posts do not disappear like they used to in the cookie method but stay visible in the next search under the "[B]The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." [/B]line.Much Much better!

No problems then except for the dates thing. I much prefer to see the actual post time rather than relatively uninformative messages saying 1 week ago etc. If I remember correctly, the same problem cropped up when the forum software was last updated but was then fixed.

And kudos to Xyzzy for his marvellous work.

R. Gerbicz 2005-12-31 23:24

1 Attachment(s)
I was only on the forum after midnight. This is a record, isn't it?
See:

Xyzzy 2005-12-31 23:44

[quote=R. Gerbicz]I was only on the forum after midnight. This is a record, isn't it?[/quote]We think the record for fewest visitors is zero, but we have no way of recording a screenshot of it.

Xyzzy 2005-12-31 23:48

[quote=Numbers]Could you possibly extend the time before a user time-outs? It is becoming rather annoying having to log-in four or five times per session.[/quote]Changed from 5 minutes to 15.

We have never been logged out of the forum unless we ask to. How are you all getting logged out automatically?

Xyzzy 2005-12-31 23:51

[quote=garo]No problems then except for the dates thing. I much prefer to see the actual post time rather than relatively uninformative messages saying 1 week ago etc. If I remember correctly, the same problem cropped up when the forum software was last updated but was then fixed.[/quote]Changed. We don't need the year displayed, right? If you prefer a different layout give us an example and we will try to replicate it.

Numbers 2006-01-01 02:28

[QUOTE=Xyzzy]Changed from 5 minutes to 15.
We have never been logged out of the forum unless we ask to. How are you all getting logged out automatically?[/QUOTE]
Thank you.
I think I am probably more susceptible to this than most because I always write my posts in another programme and paste them into the forum. I guess that if the forum thinks I am no longer active it logs me off after a couple (you said 5) minutes. Changing it to 15 should be ample. Thank you.

cheesehead 2006-01-01 10:56

[quote=Xyzzy]We don't need the year displayed, right?[/quote]I just went to a thread whose top entries were dated as late Dec, so I expected to see recent postings right under them. Rroonnnggg -- they were two (or more?) years old. So I prefer to have the year displayed. :)