mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   jasong (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   carbon nonotube condom (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15440)

jasong 2011-03-19 22:57

carbon nonotube condom

Someone on my Runescape game has the name STEEL CONDOM(all caps is what he spelled it as, please don't accuse me of "yelling"). Steel condoms are obviously stupid because the guy wouldn't be able to feel anything, but it would also almost 100% protect both people from transferring anything unwanted to each other.

So, that got me thinking to the problem condom makers have, namely that people want the seemingly paradoxical combination of thinness and durability in a condom. I know that we probably don't have the technology necessary to make a carbon nanotube condom that's also thin enough to allow feeling, but I'm going to channel my inner Kurzweil and say that we'll probably either have carbon nanotube condoms or something better in the next 20-30 years.

What do you guys think?

science_man_88 2011-03-20 00:46

[QUOTE=jasong;256131]Someone on my Runescape game has the name STEEL CONDOM(all caps is what he spelled it as, please don't accuse me of "yelling"). Steel condoms are obviously stupid because the guy wouldn't be able to feel anything, but it would also almost 100% protect both people from transferring anything unwanted to each other.

So, that got me thinking to the problem condom makers have, namely that people want the seemingly paradoxical combination of thinness and durability in a condom. I know that we probably don't have the technology necessary to make a carbon nanotube condom that's also thin enough to allow feeling, but I'm going to channel my inner Kurzweil and say that we'll probably either have carbon nanotube condoms or something better in the next 20-30 years.

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

I say nono as in the title of the thread, even if we do get there I don't care for it I don't plan on marriage in my foreseeable life span.

jasong 2011-03-20 02:17

[QUOTE=science_man_88;256135]I say nono as in the title of the thread.[/QUOTE]
Shit, I didn't see that til now.

mdettweiler 2011-03-20 03:13

Wow, just the invention we've all been waiting for... :rolleyes:

Seriously, though...surely there are better uses of the R&D time and money that would be sunk into such a thing? I mean, it's not like there's really any major deficiency with the existing "state of the art" technology--as far as I know, it works just fine. :ermm:

[size=1]Yeesh, why did I even post in this thread...[/size]

jasong 2011-03-20 04:02

[QUOTE=mdettweiler;256141]Wow, just the invention we've all been waiting for... :rolleyes:

Seriously, though...surely there are better uses of the R&D time and money that would be sunk into such a thing? I mean, it's not like there's really any major deficiency with the existing "state of the art" technology--as far as I know, it works just fine. :ermm:

[size=1]Yeesh, why did I even post in this thread...[/size][/QUOTE]
Think about it. We have a pill that can cure polio. That's awesome. But when people refer to something called "The pill," as in,"My sister's on the pill," guess what "the pill" does? It prevents pregnancy. Think of how much R&D went into preventing pregnancy when people could simply choose to not have sex. So if someone comes up with a condom that will never break and still offers the feeling of the best Latex condom out there, how much is that worth to the average horny couple?

mdettweiler 2011-03-20 04:05

[QUOTE=jasong;256148]Think about it. We have a pill that can cure polio. That's awesome. But when people refer to something called "The pill," as in,"My sister's on the pill," guess what "the pill" does? It prevents pregnancy. Think of how much R&D went into preventing pregnancy when people could simply choose to not have sex. So if someone comes up with a condom that will never break and still offers the feeling of the best Latex condom out there, how much is that worth to the average horny couple?[/QUOTE]
Well, it's not like the latex ones have a particularly high fail rate*. Certainly not high enough to warrant something as overkill as carbon nanotubes...

[size=1]*Not speaking from any experience here, but surely if the fail rate was high then people would not rely on them so widely.[/size]

science_man_88 2011-03-20 12:28

[QUOTE=mdettweiler;256149]Well, it's not like the latex ones have a particularly high fail rate*. Certainly not high enough to warrant something as overkill as carbon nanotubes...

[size=1]*Not speaking from any experience here, but surely if the fail rate was high then people would not rely on them so widely.[/size][/QUOTE]

15% according to [url]http://www.epigee.org/guide/condomfaq.html[/url] for all types together.

axn 2011-03-21 10:00

[QUOTE=jasong;256148]Think about it. We have a pill that can cure polio. That's awesome. [/QUOTE]

No, we don't. Maybe you were thinking of some other disease?

science_man_88 2011-03-21 10:42

[QUOTE=axn;256241]No, we don't. Maybe you were thinking of some other disease?[/QUOTE]

This thread is second in a search for such an idea so I'll never know.

kriesel 2020-07-16 15:26

Steel condom? She'll complain a one night stand and he gave her the rust.
Carbon nonotube condom? Somebody's very concerned about breakage, to use nine layers. (actually that would be nonatube)
Breakage can be a big deal. The increased sensation after breakage occurs can be just the thing to send one over the edge. Saved by the calendar.