mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   No Prime Left Behind (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   LLRnet supports LLR V3.8! (LLRnet2010 V0.73L) (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13165)

mdettweiler 2010-03-14 20:11

[quote=kar_bon;208385]it's ok for me!

i've also put the determination of the local prime-logfile (primes.txt) in the WIN-script at the start of it, so it's done only once for a batch-run. otherwise it would be done everytime a prime was found. not that big timing issue.[/quote]
BTW, just to let you guys know: this bug should not exist in the Perl script. Since Gary copied over the same code for submitting/logging results, checking for primes, etc. that was used under "normal" circumstances, and used it for the -c code path as well, everything should be logged the same either way.

As for the version numbers, agreed, that sounds good.

gd_barnes 2010-03-14 20:59

So is the updated Windows script in the client in the 1st post here?

kar_bon: yes, it is!

MyDogBuster 2010-03-15 00:00

The old LLRNET client kept a zxxxxxxxx file maintained during a test in case the test was interrupted. cllr doesn't. One is created if a ctrl-c is enacted.

Any chance of maintaining a zxxxxxxx file for cllr just like LLRNET did.

The reason I ask is that I had a power failure and lost any work done on current tests.

mdettweiler 2010-03-15 00:37

[quote=MyDogBuster;208409]The old LLRNET client kept a zxxxxxxxx file maintained during a test in case the test was interrupted. cllr doesn't. One is created if a ctrl-c is enacted.

Any chance of maintaining a zxxxxxxx file for cllr just like LLRNET did.

The reason I ask is that I had a power failure and lost any work done on current tests.[/quote]
LLR/cllr updates its z* file per an amount of minutes specified in llr.ini (the DiskWriteTime= option). If unspecified, it defaults to 30 minutes. From what I've observed, I think old LLRnet saved at 50% through the test in addition to every 30 minutes (which may have been configurable there as well, depending on whether it actually read the llr.ini file that was usually included with the client--I don't think it did).

While it would be rather hard to change this in standard LLR/cllr, in the do.pl script you can change the frequency at which it saves its z* files by setting the $iniOptions setting as follows:
$iniOptions = "OutputIterations=10000\nDiskWriteTime=1\n";
...which would set it to 1 minute. Note that while this probably isn't possible in do.bat since it handles setting OutputIterations differently, do.pl does work on Windows as well as long as you have Perl installed so if it's particularly important you can use that.

kar_bon 2010-03-15 00:46

[QUOTE=mdettweiler;208412]Note that while this probably isn't possible in do.bat since it handles setting OutputIterations differently[/QUOTE]

you can do this also in the do.bat by inserting a line:
[code]
(...)
if not exist tosend.txt goto error_notos
echo OutputIterations=%op_Iterations% >llr.ini
[color=red]echo DiskWriteTime=1 >>llr.ini[/color]

:do_llrnet
llrnet
(...)
[/code]

that's it.
perhaps it's worth a new option at the top of the script the user can set when needed (when testing-time is more than say 30 min).

MyDogBuster 2010-03-15 01:52

Thanks guys. I tested BOTH solutions and they work.

gd_barnes 2010-03-25 12:01

Hi Karsten,

I'm running the Windows DOS client for the first time on my Windows I7. It appears that the option to change the output iterations is not working. I even tried tweaking the code and it didn't work.

No matter what I do, it will not write that line to the llr.ini file that allows it to be changed. Instead it keeps writing out that annoying line every 10,000 iterations with a percentage complete. Even testing at n=~550K, it fairly quickly fills up the screen because there's no way to make the DOS window wider.

I'd like to set it to 1,000,000 iterations like all of my other clients. Can you help?

Edit: I just noticed something. It corrects itself after the first batch, writes the line to llr.ini, and stops outputting every 10,000 iterations. I'm surprsied that me trying to move the statement ahead of the "if" statement right ahead of it did not fix the problem. So it is a more minor bug than I originally thought but it still is a bit annoying.

Thanks,
Gary

Mini-Geek 2010-03-25 12:17

[quote=gd_barnes;209493]It appears that the option to change the output iterations is not working. I even tried tweaking the code and it didn't work.[/quote]
Works for me (Windows XP).
[quote=gd_barnes;209493]Instead it keeps writing out that annoying line every 10,000 iterations with a percentage complete. Even testing at n=~550K, it fairly quickly fills up the screen because there's no way to make the DOS window wider.[/quote]
To make the window wide, right click on the command window's title bar, click Properties, go to the Layout tab, and change both Width values to something higher (e.g. 90), then press OK, check "Save properties for future windows with the same title," and click OK. Ta-da!

kar_bon 2010-03-25 12:18

[QUOTE=gd_barnes;209493]
Edit: I just noticed something. It corrects itself after the first batch, writes the line to llr.ini, and stops outputting every 10,000 iterations. I'm surprsied that me trying to move the statement ahead of the "if" statement right ahead of it did not fix the problem. So it is a more minor bug than I originally thought but it still is a bit annoying.
[/QUOTE]

yep, the change will first be set when llr tested all pairs in workfile.txt.
after getting the next set of pairs, the script will write again/new llr.ini with this new iteration-setting!

this could be done in the DOS-script by telling to update the llr.ini with code like this:
[code]
type llr.ini | find /v "OutputIterations=" > llr.new
echo OutputIterations=%1>> llr.new
move /Y llr.new llr.ini >nul
[/code]

with parameter %1 as the number of iterations.
so the script could be stopped while llr is running and starting again the script (with a parameter or comparing the current setting) with changing to this parameter and continue llr-testing.

i can make this modification, if needed.

gd_barnes 2010-03-25 14:03

[quote=kar_bon;209496]yep, the change will first be set when llr tested all pairs in workfile.txt.
after getting the next set of pairs, the script will write again/new llr.ini with this new iteration-setting!

this could be done in the DOS-script by telling to update the llr.ini with code like this:
[code]
type llr.ini | find /v "OutputIterations=" > llr.new
echo OutputIterations=%1>> llr.new
move /Y llr.new llr.ini >nul
[/code]with parameter %1 as the number of iterations.
so the script could be stopped while llr is running and starting again the script (with a parameter or comparing the current setting) with changing to this parameter and continue llr-testing.

i can make this modification, if needed.[/quote]

It seems a little bit cheesy to have it do something incorrectly for a short time and then do it correctly. If it's not too much trouble, yes, I think the change should be made.

Thanks for the info. on making the screen wider Tim. Regardless, I'm not looking at my machines 99% of the time so I'd rather not have the iterations show up.

One more thing: How do you easily change do.bat? When I made the change to the # of iterations, I renamed do.bat to do.txt, modified it in notepad, and then renamed it back to do.bat. Is there an easier way? A novice might wonder how to change the various options since you can't just edit do.bat.

Mini-Geek 2010-03-25 14:11

[quote=gd_barnes;209500]One more thing: How do you easily change do.bat? When I made the change to the # of iterations, I renamed do.bat to do.txt, modified it in notepad, and then renamed it back to do.bat. Is there an easier way? A novice might wonder how to change the various options since you can't just edit do.bat.[/quote]
Right click on do.bat > Edit, or
Open Notepad, browse to do.bat's location, set Files of type: All Files, open do.bat.

Not too hard. :smile: