mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   41st Known Mersenne Prime Reported!! (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=2475)

PrimeCruncher 2004-05-15 23:48

[QUOTE=flava]Hmmm... based on the information available I narrowed down the info from cleared.txt to less than 20 exponents. One of them looks like a probable candidate to me ... and it isn't small. Here is a encrypted prediction: Ír½Mü¶ÞKøBCnXXQñ[/QUOTE]

First, how did you get down to 20? Do you know the hour the UNVERIFIED first appeared in?

I have a couple that look good, one especially so also. It's residue is remarkably similar to previous known false residues and, checking LUCAS_V.txt, it appears in a handful of exponents there, and in only one other exponent in cleared.txt.

EDIT: The residue also has two inverted 47s in it, which makes me even more optimistic. :grin:

flava 2004-05-16 00:03

[QUOTE=PrimeCruncher]First, how did you get down to 20? Do you know the hour the UNVERIFIED first appeared in?

I have a couple that look good, one especially so also. It's residue is remarkably similar to previous known false residues and, checking LUCAS_V.txt, it appears in a handful of exponents there, and in only one other exponent in cleared.txt.

EDIT: The residue also has two inverted 47s in it, which makes me even more optimistic. :grin:[/QUOTE]

I don't know the hour but tried to make a reasonable guess. With the number of prime junkies :redface: checking PrimeNet, I don't think it takes too long before the news gets out. :bounce:
I'm not 100% sure I got the right one, of course.
I think I see the one that looks good to you. Mine happens a bit later.

PrimeCruncher 2004-05-16 01:27

Okay, my enciphered prediction:
BFWICH-MJW OZIRZPI, BMQ YCIVAQV QNGBH-JLIP BYBCASMV, CYLPW YKMVQWV JLIPBH-AWDPM

Xyzzy 2004-05-16 02:34

My guess:

[pre]f24d6de6e5087caa136135bd50eff38b[/pre]

Prime95 2004-05-16 03:17

Thank you all for making your predictions encrypted. It adds to the fun and anticipation if we don't prematurely blurt out the new prime.

BTW, it is a new prime. The user sent in his save file. I reran the final 15,000 iterations and prime95 rediscovered the prime. There is no known method for creating a bogus save file that falsely rediscovers the prime.

Finally, does anyone have some big UNIX iron to run an official verification on for a month? Guillermo Ballester only has an Athlon machine to run Glucas on. I haven't heard from Ernst Mayer yet.

justinsane 2004-05-16 04:20

[QUOTE=Prime95]Thank you all for making your predictions encrypted. It adds to the fun and anticipation if we don't prematurely blurt out the new prime.

BTW, it is a new prime. The user sent in his save file. I reran the final 15,000 iterations and prime95 rediscovered the prime. There is no known method for creating a bogus save file that falsely rediscovers the prime.

Finally, does anyone have some big UNIX iron to run an official verification on for a month? Guillermo Ballester only has an Athlon machine to run Glucas on. I haven't heard from Ernst Mayer yet.[/QUOTE]

I'd gladly run an official verification on a UNIX P4 2.4G

[email]vanklein@buffalo.edu[/email]

roy1942 2004-05-16 04:56

In the hour before the 'unverified' notice first appeared, there were 11 exponents checked in that satisfied 'new record', i.e., larger than 20996011. Six of these are from participants ranking in the top 1000. Two of these are 33M exponents.

I don't see how to narrow it down any further.

roy1942 2004-05-16 05:30

[QUOTE=Prime95]Finally, does anyone have some big UNIX iron to run an official verification on for a month? Guillermo Ballester only has an Athlon machine to run Glucas on. I haven't heard from Ernst Mayer yet.[/QUOTE]

A 33M exponent would take about a month using Prime95 on the fastest P4. I don't know how fast "big UNIX iron" running Glucas could do it. Does this request for a month for a verification point to a 33M exponent, or rule it out?

One of the 33M candidates alluded to in my previous post had been running for over a year. If that's the one, it proves the value of persistence!

PrimeCruncher 2004-05-16 12:34

[QUOTE=roy1942]In the hour before the 'unverified' notice first appeared, there were 11 exponents checked in that satisfied 'new record', i.e., larger than 20996011. Six of these are from participants ranking in the top 1000. Two of these are 33M exponents.

I don't see how to narrow it down any further.[/QUOTE]

What hour did the UNVERIFIED appear in?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out based on my chart. My guess is one of the six! :banana:

Prime95 2004-05-16 14:17

[QUOTE=justinsane]I'd gladly run an official verification on a UNIX P4 2.4G[/QUOTE]

The ideal machine would be a multi-processor Itanium or Alpha or Sun machine. Glucas is multi-threaded. Guillermo is privately emailing some GLUCAS users to see if any are interested.

PrimeCruncher 2004-05-16 14:19

[QUOTE=Prime95]The ideal machine would be a multi-processor Itanium or Alpha or Sun machine. Glucas is multi-threaded. Guillermo is privately emailing some GLUCAS users to see if any are interested.[/QUOTE]

A month on a multi-processor Itanium? I guess that would point to a 33M exponent...