mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Software (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   LLR Version 3.8.15 released (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=20217)

Jean Penné 2015-05-02 16:29

LLR Version 3.8.15 released

Hi All,

I uploaded today the version 3.8.15 of the LLR program.
You can find it now on my personal site :

[url]http://jpenne.free.fr/[/url]

The 32bit Windows and Linux compressed binaries are available as usual.
The Linux 64bit binaries are also released here.
I uploaded also the complete source in a compressed file ; it may be used to
build the Mac-Intel executable and also the 64bit Windows binary.
This LLR version is linked with the Version 28.7 of George Woltman's gwnum library.
I released also a cllrd binary, which is linked with the debug version of this
gwnum library.
You can see in the Readme.text file, what is new in this release.
In fact, no much is new in this release :
- The SetupOnly option can now be used for N+1 and N-1 tests.
- To improve reliability, error checking may be forced if the program is working near the current FFT limit.
- Now, the FFT usage line remains displayed on Linux screen...
- Above all, I hope it will help to resolve the AVX problems, if any remain...
As usual, I need help to build the 32bit Mac Intel binary, and also the 64bit Mac Intel and Windows ones.
Please, inform me if you encountered any problem while using this new version.
Best Regards,
Jean

rebirther 2015-05-02 17:16

The win64/mac64 link doesnt work.

Edit:
I have sent you win64bit and GUI ;)

Jean Penné 2015-05-02 19:46

[QUOTE=rebirther;401540]The win64/mac64 link doesnt work.

Edit:
I have sent you win64bit and GUI ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks to Rebirther, the Win34 Console and GUI applications are now available.

Regards,
Jean

pepi37 2015-05-04 06:33

Jean , look at this thread

[URL]https://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=6269#85450[/URL]

It looks like "To improve reliability, error checking may be forced if the program is working near the current FFT limit" is not happiest solution for problem...

Jean Penné 2015-05-04 15:39

[QUOTE=pepi37;401621]Jean , look at this thread

[URL]https://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=6269#85450[/URL]

It looks like "To improve reliability, error checking may be forced if the program is working near the current FFT limit" is not happiest solution for problem...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for warning me about that ; I shall respond in this thread.
Indeed, one cannot have both tne best performances and the best reliability, and the choice may be difficult...
Regards,
Jean

Prime95 2015-05-04 16:03

The main performance hit is backtracking to last save file. Prime95 saves every 30 minutes by default, for an average loss of 15 minutes.

pepi37 2015-05-05 07:47

I just noticed that 3.8.14 and 3.8.15 for windows is same on size in byte . But for Linux there is difference in size.

Jean Penné 2015-05-05 14:14

echk versus fftlimit...

Hi,

Here are some remarks about this problem :

I tested the new echk feature in V3.8.15, on several candidates, and setting PercentFFTLimit to 20.0, in order to trigger echk=1 often, and I saw that the increase in time is not so large, typically 5%. Indeed, the drawback is much larger if a Roundoff error occurs, but, at least, it is detected!

For those wo do not like to force error checking, I implemented a new option : -oNextFFTifNearLimit=1 (default is zero). If activated, and if the default FFT length at setting is too near the limit, then, FFT_Increment is incremented by one, a message is displayed and the test is immediatly restarted ; indeed, in this case, echk can no more be forced...

I updated the V3.8.15 source and rebuilt all the binaries I can accordingly, but, presently, I did'nt upload these files on my site. I shall upload the files only if you agree with this last update which, I think, does not deserve a change in version number...

Thank you by advance for informing me about your opinion about that.
Regards,
Jean

pepi37 2015-05-05 18:30

It is very good option!
5% time more, a with automatic restart...
great news!

Jean Penné 2015-05-05 19:36

Source upload is now done.

Hi,

The new option I implemented seems to be satisfactory, so, I now uploaded the updated source and all the binaries that are under my control... I informed Rebirther in order to allow him to rebuild the Win64 applications.
I still need the help of Iain for building the Mac Intel binaries.
Thank you by advance, and Best Regards,

Jean

Jean Penné 2015-05-05 20:20

[QUOTE=Jean Penné;401779]Hi,

The new option I implemented seems to be satisfactory, so, I now uploaded the updated source and all the binaries that are under my control... I informed Rebirther in order to allow him to rebuild the Win64 applications.
I still need the help of Iain for building the Mac Intel binaries.
Thank you by advance, and Best Regards,

Jean[/QUOTE]

Thanks to Rebirther, The Win64 Console and Gui applications are also updated according to the new source.
Jean

Jean Penné 2015-05-06 19:57

Mac Intel applications are available.

Hi,

Thanks to Iain Bethune, Mac Intel 32bit and 64bit applications are now available.
Regards,
Jean

Jean Penné 2015-05-07 19:58

Upgrading the version display

Hi,

At the request of Iain and PrimeGrid project, I upgraded the -v feature on current LLR Version ; now, ./llr -v or cllr -v give this output :

LLR Program - Version 3.8.15, using Gwnum Library Version 28.7

I uploaded the updated source, Win32 console, Linux 32bit and 64bit applications accordingly.
Mac Intel , and perhaps the Win64 console application, need to be rebuilt ; Windows GUI applications are not concerned, and so, not modified.

Regards,
Jean

Jean Penné 2015-05-09 07:43

[QUOTE=Jean Penné;401932]Hi,

At the request of Iain and PrimeGrid project, I upgraded the -v feature on current LLR Version ; now, ./llr -v or cllr -v give this output :

LLR Program - Version 3.8.15, using Gwnum Library Version 28.7

I uploaded the updated source, Win32 console, Linux 32bit and 64bit applications accordingly.
Mac Intel , and perhaps the Win64 console application, need to be rebuilt ; Windows GUI applications are not concerned, and so, not modified.

Regards,
Jean[/QUOTE]

Thanks to Iain, Mac Intel applications are now updated on this release.
Regards,
Jean

Jean Penné 2015-05-09 20:56

[QUOTE=Jean Penné;402021]Thanks to Iain, Mac Intel applications are now updated on this release.
Regards,
Jean[/QUOTE]

Thank to Rebirther, the Win64 Console and GUI applications are now also updated in this release.
Regards,
Jean

stream 2015-05-11 19:53

Jean, thank you for update. Unfortunately, I afraid that we're moving in wrong direction. The change which you've suggested and implemented may work for PrimeGrid, but I'd rather call it not a solution, but a workaround.

I'll post a summary of the problem once again here. I would be very appreciated to hear opinions of other developers, how this situation is handled in their programs.

The problem which affected PrimeGrid seems to be in LLR for ages. It's in the logic how LLR behaves with ErrorCheck=1 option (so why PG does not using ErrorCheck). First time it was described in [URL="http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=6269&nowrap=true#85444"]this post[/URL]. The scenario is following.[INDENT] 1) LLR have following piece of code:[/INDENT][code]if (error_count > MAX_ERROR_COUNT) {\
OutputBoth (ERRMSG9);\
care = TRUE;\
}\[/code][INDENT]where MAX_ERROR_COUNT=5.[/INDENT][INDENT] 2) When a "repeatable" roundoff error (>0.4) occurs (i.e. this is not a hardware fault, but an unlucky FFT size), after fixing the error itself with few "careful" iterations, an error_count is incremented, and nothing else is done.
[/INDENT][INDENT] 3) It's possible that very long (SoB) unlucky candidate will generate more then 5 RoundOff errors. According to the condition above, a "care" flag is set, and, as far as I understand, ALL operations from now on will be done using "careful" functions. This leads to deadly effects - according to the original post, "The result was that LLR was going to take 11.3 days instead of 2.7 days.". This is completely unacceptable for PrimeGrid due to return timeouts, possible complains about credits, etc.
[/INDENT]This leads to a question: how this situation (multiple "soft" RoundOffs per candidate) are handled in other programs? I see two trivial solutions which will be compatible with PG:
[LIST=1][*]No need to handle this case at all. The code above must be completely removed. Why this magic number of 5 errors appeared at all? Since this is not a hardware problem, let's continue to crunch and recover (if necessary) in usual way.[*]Restart with FFT_Increment. Details of implementation could be discussed (should it restart on first error? 2? 3? 5?). This is good because it'll be no future errors and restarts, and acceptable for PG because FFT_Increment is really not so time-consuming (from original post - "It took an hour or two longer than with the original FFT size" - with 2.7 days total).[/LIST]Any comments are appreciated.

Roman

paulunderwood 2015-05-17 03:36

LLR timings / FFT sizes for different k

[CODE]Starting Lucas Lehmer Riesel prime test of 733*2^1001099-1
Using FMA3 FFT length 64K, Pass1=256, Pass2=256
733*2^1001099-1 is not prime. LLR Res64: 394E30CF7BB572C3 Time : 167.814 sec.
Starting Lucas Lehmer Riesel prime test of 9959*2^1000040-1
Using FMA3 FFT length 80K, Pass1=320, Pass2=256
9959*2^1000040-1 is not prime. LLR Res64: 0AF38FB979C9314F Time : 214.790 sec.
[/CODE]

Are smaller FFT sizes chosen for small k?

Batalov 2015-05-17 03:39

They always were.

paulunderwood 2015-05-17 03:45

Thanks for the info :smile:

rogue 2015-05-25 00:40

A change was made to LLR 3.8.15 that does not work with PRPNet. I'm testing a change with the client to address the problem. Please do not use LLR 3.8.15 with PRPNet until PRPnet is updated.

pepi37 2015-06-03 19:52

Just cosmetic change: can somebody add to windows version that prime is highlighted ( like in linux version) in next release.

Jean Penné 2015-06-04 06:28

Special character(s)?

[QUOTE=pepi37;403463]Just cosmetic change: can somebody add to windows version that prime is highlighted ( like in linux version) in next release.[/QUOTE]

I will add this in the next release, but need help to know what special character(s) most be sent to the console,
the magic : OutputStr("\033[7m"); works on Linux, but does not work on Windows...

Regards,
Jean

rogue 2015-06-04 14:30

[QUOTE=Jean Penné;403474]I will add this in the next release, but need help to know what special character(s) most be sent to the console,
the magic : OutputStr("\033[7m"); works on Linux, but does not work on Windows...

Regards,
Jean[/QUOTE]

Check here: [url]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9203362/c-color-text-in-terminal-applications-in-windows[/url]. You would have to #ifdef around it.

Jean Penné 2015-06-04 19:48

Thank you for this help!

[QUOTE=rogue;403492]Check here: [url]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9203362/c-color-text-in-terminal-applications-in-windows[/url]. You would have to #ifdef around it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Mark! The textcolor() function does not exist on my Windows platform, but I can use SetConsoleTextAttribute().
Regards,
Jean

Batalov 2015-07-28 00:25

I found a range of test cases where the LLR residue is dependent on the FFT size chosen. (This is on AVX hardware.)
The particular cases are (at least) these:
[CODE]831*2^5772880+1
831*2^5775472+1
831*2^5779912+1
831*2^5780008+1
831*2^5780320+1
831*2^5780560+1
831*2^5780584+1
831*2^5781832+1[/CODE]
I've run them with 384K and 400K, and will now re-run with the next size(s) (FFT_Increment=2 (and 3; that would be all-complex AVX FFT length 480K and 512K) and ErrorCheck=1 in llr.ini)

It is possible that the FFT boundary has to be pushed back more aggressively in the code. Restarts after a "Disregard last error. Result is reproducible and thus not a hardware problem" message lead to mismatched residues, even though one would expect that the "For added safety, redoing iteration using a slower, more reliable method" takes care of it and they should match.

This may need some debugging. Maybe I'd prefer to stick to PRP testing for a while, leaving N-1 for an additional pass.

Jean Penné 2015-08-02 14:31

[QUOTE=stream;402139]Jean, thank you for update. Unfortunately, I afraid that we're moving in wrong direction. The change which you've suggested and implemented may work for PrimeGrid, but I'd rather call it not a solution, but a workaround.

I'll post a summary of the problem once again here. I would be very appreciated to hear opinions of other developers, how this situation is handled in their programs.

The problem which affected PrimeGrid seems to be in LLR for ages. It's in the logic how LLR behaves with ErrorCheck=1 option (so why PG does not using ErrorCheck). First time it was described in [URL="http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=6269&nowrap=true#85444"]this post[/URL]. The scenario is following.[INDENT] 1) LLR have following piece of code:[/INDENT][code]if (error_count > MAX_ERROR_COUNT) {\
OutputBoth (ERRMSG9);\
care = TRUE;\
}\[/code][INDENT]where MAX_ERROR_COUNT=5.[/INDENT][INDENT] 2) When a "repeatable" roundoff error (>0.4) occurs (i.e. this is not a hardware fault, but an unlucky FFT size), after fixing the error itself with few "careful" iterations, an error_count is incremented, and nothing else is done.
[/INDENT][INDENT] 3) It's possible that very long (SoB) unlucky candidate will generate more then 5 RoundOff errors. According to the condition above, a "care" flag is set, and, as far as I understand, ALL operations from now on will be done using "careful" functions. This leads to deadly effects - according to the original post, "The result was that LLR was going to take 11.3 days instead of 2.7 days.". This is completely unacceptable for PrimeGrid due to return timeouts, possible complains about credits, etc.
[/INDENT]This leads to a question: how this situation (multiple "soft" RoundOffs per candidate) are handled in other programs? I see two trivial solutions which will be compatible with PG:
[LIST=1][*]No need to handle this case at all. The code above must be completely removed. Why this magic number of 5 errors appeared at all? Since this is not a hardware problem, let's continue to crunch and recover (if necessary) in usual way.[*]Restart with FFT_Increment. Details of implementation could be discussed (should it restart on first error? 2? 3? 5?). This is good because it'll be no future errors and restarts, and acceptable for PG because FFT_Increment is really not so time-consuming (from original post - "It took an hour or two longer than with the original FFT size" - with 2.7 days total).[/LIST]Any comments are appreciated.

Roman[/QUOTE]

Hi Roman,

I agree completely with your remarks, and take them in account in the LLR 3.8.16 Version that I am just ready to release now.
- The code you reproduced above is removed. The "care" variable is now only used to signal that the last iteration was a careful one...
- The new code for Roundoff error recovery is as described in the Readme.txt file :
- Error checking is done on the first and last 50 iterations, before writing an intermediate file (either user-requested stop or a
30 minute interval expired), and every 128th iteration.
- After an excessive (> 0.40) and reproducible round off error, the iteration is redone using a slower and more reliable method.
- If this error was not reproducible, or if the iteration fails again, the test is restarted from the last save file, using the next larger FFT length...
All that was in previous LLR versions, but :
- Continuing the test using the next FFT length is also forced if too much errors were encountered (MAX_ERROR_COUNT=5).
On the other part, two related features present in V 3.8.15 are maintened :
- To improve reliability, error checking may now be forced, if the program is working near the current FFT limit. This feature may be adjusted by using the option -oPercentFFTLimit=dd.d, the default value beeing 0.5 ; note that setting echk to one is generally not much time consuming : typically 5% more.
Also, this feature may be wiped out by setting PercentFFTLimit to 0.0!

- For those wo do not like to force error checking, I implemented a new option : -oNextFFTifNearLimit=1 (default is zero). If activated, and if the default FFT length at setting is too near the limit, then, FFT_Increment is incremented by one, a message is displayed and the test is immediatly restarted ; indeed, in this case, echk can no more be forced...

I hope this would be satisfactory for the PG community!

Regards,
Jean

ATH 2015-08-02 23:33

[QUOTE=Batalov;406682]I found a range of test cases where the LLR residue is dependent on the FFT size chosen. (This is on AVX hardware.)[/QUOTE]

I tried the first one 831*2^5772880+1 in Prime95 with ErrorCheck=1 and SumInputsErrorCheck=1. It chose the default 384K FFT but right away it had errors:
Iteration: 19053/5772889, POSSIBLE ERROR: ROUND OFF (0.40625) > 0.40
Continuing from last save file.
Iteration: 49878/5772889, POSSIBLE ERROR: ROUND OFF (0.4375) > 0.40
Continuing from last save file.

So I restarted with forced FFT, the next one I could use was 480K, and it went fine with highest round off error at 0.00878:
831*2^5772880+1 is not prime. RES64: 5B74AAB763C326C8. We4: 9BDEBA17,00000000

pepi37 2015-08-03 21:09

[QUOTE]
- For those wo do not like to force error checking, I implemented a new option : -oNextFFTifNearLimit=1 (default is zero). If activated, and if the default FFT length at setting is too near the limit, then, FFT_Increment is incremented by one, a message is displayed and the test is immediatly restarted ; indeed, in this case, echk can no more be forced...
Regards,
Jean[/QUOTE]

Jean I am little confused. You wrote this yesterday, and that is implemented in 3.8.15 from 7.5 this year.
So in fact what new option that is implemented? Or option is same just works in different way?
Thanks for reply

Jean Penné 2015-08-04 04:51

[QUOTE=pepi37;407192]Jean I am little confused. You wrote this yesterday, and that is implemented in 3.8.15 from 7.5 this year.
So in fact what new option that is implemented? Or option is same just works in different way?
Thanks for reply[/QUOTE]
You are right! No new option implemented, but all the Roundoff error code has been rewritten, and tested intensively using ridiculous MaxRoundoff values of 0.1 or less...
Regards,
Jean