-   Software (
-   -   Server problem (

Peter Nelson 2005-02-17 15:56

Server problem

I can successfully access both [url][/url] (obviously) and [url][/url].

However, (I assume this applies to everyone) can't login to my Individual account page on Primenet - it comes back with a not available / SQL Server error.

So I thought the reporting may be offline even if the main backend operation isn't. Let's see. If I force manual communication from my Prime95, it does connect with the server, but then (more worryingly) says error 3 (not assigned to me). This exponent was indeed assigned to me and in fact within the last 24 hours which is when I finished the previous one.

Is this an example of when primenet does funny things and gets confused and reports error 3?

Please could someone do whatever is needed to restore the server to full operation.
Secondly it may be worth some work on the behaviour of the system while some elements are down if it can't handle the SQL Server being offline. (Maybe could be in a bugfix for Primenet server v5)

Did anyone else get this error 3 too?

sdbardwick 2005-02-17 16:05

Others have reported the same error: [url=""][/url]

Peter Nelson 2005-02-17 18:05

Server is back now but same software
Thanks sdbardwick for pointing out the other thread where others had the same problem.

I did have a look around before posting but didn't spot it.

With hindsight I probably ought to have posted under the server topic rather than software. (About the server being down).

I'm pleased to report the server appears to be back now. A manual communication with the same exponent that gave error 3 now completes without the error 3 so things seem to be healthy as normal.

So whatever server downtime or SQL offline-ness was going on, that is resolved.

However, I maintain that there is an ongoing SOFTWARE issue. That is that when certain processes/parts of the backend are down, the software parts that remain up behave unpredictably/incorrectly.

There may be other effects, but certainly the "ERROR 3" to the client is an out of order response.

If the assignment data cannot be obtained, it ought to produce a message along the lines of ERROR11213: Cannot currently ascertain whether that exponent was assigned to you or not.

This ought to be clearly distinguishable from a conventional error 3: YOU POACHED THAT EXPONENT. OR someone poached it from you an reported the result before you did.

People may get error 3 for other reasons because of bugs in / problems with the server. These may be easier to debug if the backend could detect a failed lookup and report accordingly rather than report "it wasn't assigned to you". Just requires a little error trapping code. Obviously when it was written originally the database was assumed to be always there/accessible but in the real world life is not so simple.

So, with even more hindsight, SOFTWARE was the right forum topic!

Enhancement / bugfix request for primenet server 5.0:
Add some detection code for the scenario the sql backend is offline to supress the misleading error 3 response to clients and replace with some intelligent message. Error 3 should only be generated for situations when it truly applies.


All times are UTC. The time now is 16:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.