mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Other Mathematical Topics (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Utility of integer factorization. (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=20250)

jwaltos 2015-05-13 16:40

Utility of integer factorization.

Other than the obvious, RSA and P:NP, how would the ability to factor integers of any magnitude affect the sciences?
A natural extension includes factors such as complex (Gaussian) primes and quotients.
Will such a tool provide deeper insight into the results of numerical calculations, fundamental physical or mathematical constants?
PSLQ has provided insight into some structures and Plouffe (unsuccessfully as far as I am aware) attempted the same for some physical constants. (Regarding constants, Steven Finch's expositions are a good complementary reference.) The work of Mandelbrot and Thom has helped to conceptualize order from apparent disorder and I was wondering if `reversing the multiplicative process (a solid notion of primality is crucial)` would have a similar effect. Mandelbrot's, "The Fractalist", is a bargain in paperback and for those with some time, any of the books in the "Library of Living Philosophers" are worth [the] while. As usual, Google and Wikipedia will point and introduce the sources but will not replace them. Rational creativity, I guess, would be a way of encapsulating the above.
Looking at "Wired's" review of Mandelbrot's memoir, this point is a carry-over from prior thread, "... Mandelbrot was a brilliant idealist who struggled with the gap between thought and language..." which may be
considered as an aspect of the S-W hypothese.

Nick 2015-05-16 22:18

Hendrik Lenstra jokingly encourages his students to solve such problems so that number theory will lose its value to cryptography and commercial companies and return to being an area of research where you only meet people who are passionate about the mathematics for its own sake.

LaurV 2015-05-17 05:17

[QUOTE=Nick;402428]... an area of research where you only meet people who are passionate about the mathematics for its own sake.[/QUOTE]
i.e. mersenneforum...:smile:

R.D. Silverman 2015-05-17 05:41

[QUOTE=LaurV;402450]i.e. mersenneforum...:smile:[/QUOTE]

Bull. The vast majority of people here do not care one whit about the math.

xilman 2015-05-17 07:13

[QUOTE=R.D. Silverman;402453]Bull. The vast majority of people here do not care one whit about the math.[/QUOTE]Bob: I seriously recommend that you get your irony detector serviced as it appears to have gone very badly out of calibration.

ATH 2015-05-17 13:49

[QUOTE=xilman;402455]Bob: I seriously recommend that you get your irony detector serviced as it appears to have gone very badly out of calibration.[/QUOTE]

[YOUTUBE]mSy5mEcmgwU[/YOUTUBE]

R.D. Silverman 2015-05-21 16:25

[QUOTE=xilman;402455]Bob: I seriously recommend that you get your irony detector serviced as it appears to have gone very badly out of calibration.[/QUOTE]

Not based upon the person who made the comment. LaurV is constantly making erroneous and ignorant
comments. He just made another one about factors of Fermat numbers.

LaurV 2015-05-22 02:14

[QUOTE=R.D. Silverman;402760]Not based upon the person who made the comment. LaurV is constantly making erroneous and ignorant
comments. He just made another one about factors of Fermat numbers.[/QUOTE]
Huh? Where? :whistle:

jwaltos 2015-05-22 12:20

Aspects of factorization.

FFT improvement, quantum wave functions, commutative and non-commutative representations...etc.