mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Searches and defaults (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=10994)

Nelson 2008-11-17 18:10

Searches and defaults

Unless I am logged on I can't do any searches on the forum and thus am unable to find previous posts which may answer a question without posting a new question making many unnecessary posts. I see frequent posts which are answered by previous posts. The feature would be more useful to unregistered readers. It wouldn't stop those who post to read there own posts but might reduce some really IMO silly posts.

In a similar vein the default number of posts per page affecting readers who are not logged on is quite long and could be set a bit smaller, about half wouldn't be unreasonable would it? Or something around 20!

nelson

Xyzzy 2008-11-18 04:10

1 Attachment(s)
[quote]Unless I am logged on I can't do any searches on the forum and thus am unable to find previous posts which may answer a question without posting a new question making many unnecessary posts. I see frequent posts which are answered by previous posts. The feature would be more useful to unregistered readers. It wouldn't stop those who post to read there own posts but might reduce some really IMO silly posts.[/quote][COLOR=White].[/COLOR]

retina 2009-01-21 03:42

[quote="vBulletin Message"]This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.[/quote]Okay, so it is a completely minor thing, but "1 second[b]s[/b]"?

BTW: This minimum time message is really annoying when a search finds no posts and I want to tweak the criteria to include more range. Can it be set to 5 searches in the first minute and then 1 search per minute (or something similar)? That would make searching much less frustrating.

Nelson 2009-01-21 16:23

tnx

Many thanks Xyzzy for adding the the captcha to the search page. works great!

nelson

cheesehead 2009-01-21 17:34

[quote=retina;159663]Okay, so it is a completely minor thing, but "1 second[B]s[/B]"?[/quote]Report that as a vBulletin(English) bug. :)

- - -

BTW: I'm pretty sure there are languages in which nouns have no distinction between singular and plural, but is there one that has three separate noun forms for singular, plural, and "singular or plural, as the case may be"? (Words like "deer" are not eligible.)

Batalov 2009-01-22 08:53

Oooh, a nice stretch from a boring thread into a charade!

I'll venture a guess...
... [I]programming languages[/I], especially those used by "User interface" programmers, a.k.a. "dialog-level programmers". :w00t:

There you go: 1 [B]second[/B], 5 [B]seconds[/B], N [B]second(s).[/B]
That last thing is a contribution of the laziest type of programmers to the natural languages - somewhere on par with "s/he" and a "policeperson" politically correct neologisms.

cheesehead 2009-01-22 22:52

Though by "languages" I meant only "natural languages", your point is well-taken. However, I'd bet that the "(s)" suffix preceded the electronic computer era, and could be found in the text of many pre-computer governmental regulations and laws, or legal documents in general.

- - -

IMO "s/he" and "policeperson" (and "waitron") are all firmly in the tradition of handy contractions devised to save [strike]time/space[/strike] time and space in natural language expressions.

The association of such neologisms with political correctness is simply due to the fact that explicit statement of previously excluded or ignored alternatives necessarily involves longer words or word strings, and thus prompts invention of contractions or collective nouns.

retina 2009-02-20 19:07

[quote="vBulletin Message"]The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.[/quote]Okay, so it is a completely minor thing, but "1 character[b]s[/b]"?

Xyzzy 2009-02-20 19:53

[quote]Okay, so it is a completely minor thing, but "1 character[B]s[/B]"?[/quote]Try it now. It should read properly. The default error message uses a variable so it does not know how many characters the minimum is. We have always had it set to 1, so we just hardwired the error message to fix it.

Uncwilly 2009-08-12 21:44

Is there a way to have the search function set to find partials? I tried searching for a thread with a word that I knew would be in the title, but the search failed because of the punctuation after the word.

Xyzzy 2009-08-15 23:29

Can you give us an example to play with?