mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Conjectures 'R Us (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Opinions on team drive #3 (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=9899)

gd_barnes 2008-01-22 03:31

Opinions on team drive #3

I would like to start a team drive for a base that is not a multiple of 2. Can people give me their opinions on which one would be good?

I personally like Sierp base 6 right now. Not too many k's remaining (56), not too few, base isn't terribly high, etc. We'd probably put about 48-50 k's in the team drive.

When we agree on a good base, I'll start and/or coordinate some sieving on it.

Thanks,
Gary

mdettweiler 2008-01-22 04:35

I agree! Sierp. Base 6 looks excellent for the next team drive. It PRP's at a decent speed because it's such a relatively low base, so it's one of the more attractive non-power-of-2 bases.

gd_barnes 2008-01-23 21:15

We are going to start a drive #3 for Sierp base 6 when I'm done sieving n=30K-100K for all k's except those already sieved. I started sieving yesterday. We will include all k's except about 8-10 of them for individual reservations. I'll post separate sieved files on those.

Gary

mdettweiler 2008-01-23 21:46

[quote=gd_barnes;123719]We are going to start a drive #3 for Sierp base 6 when I'm done sieving n=30K-100K for all k's except those already sieved. I started sieving yesterday. We will include all k's except about 8-10 of them for individual reservations. I'll post separate sieved files on those.

Gary[/quote]
When's your estimated ETA for the sieved files?

Since it's now official that Sierp. base 6 will be Drive #3, I'll see about having Carlos set up a third LLRnet server for the it. Maybe, for the purposes of getting it set up, we could have LLRnet work on the sieve files for the 3 k's that are already sieved, at first?

gd_barnes 2008-01-23 23:26

[quote=Anonymous;123725]When's your estimated ETA for the sieved files?

Since it's now official that Sierp. base 6 will be Drive #3, I'll see about having Carlos set up a third LLRnet server for the it. Maybe, for the purposes of getting it set up, we could have LLRnet work on the sieve files for the 3 k's that are already sieved, at first?[/quote]

Cool.

It's a little hard to say. I have 2 cores on it now and will add a 3rd tomorrow but I haven't calculated optimum sieve depth.

A big SWAG would be by this weekend.

Gary

mdettweiler 2008-01-23 23:28

[quote=gd_barnes;123734]Cool.

It's a little hard to say. I have 2 cores on it now and will add a 3rd tomorrow but I haven't calculated optimum sieve depth.

A big SWAG would be by this weekend.

Gary[/quote]
SWAG???

As for optimal depth...I sieved the k's that I worked on up to p=600G for the n=30K-100K range, and they seemed to be sieved pretty well.

gd_barnes 2008-01-23 23:38

[quote=Anonymous;123735]SWAG???

As for optimal depth...I sieved the k's that I worked on up to p=600G for the n=30K-100K range, and they seemed to be sieved pretty well.[/quote]

That's close to my SWAG also; maybe a little higher because of all of the k's thare are more k's.

SWAG = Super Wild A__ Guess. It's what us mainframe legacy programmers have to give the powers that be before we start on an analysis/coding/testing effort. I'm sure it applies to just about all programmers and many other professions also.

Gary

mdettweiler 2008-01-23 23:40

[quote=gd_barnes;123739]That's close to my SWAG also; maybe a little higher because of all of the k's thare are more k's.

SWAG = Super Wild A__ Guess. It's what us mainframe legacy programmers have to give the powers that be before we start on an analysis/coding/testing effort. I'm sure it applies to just about all programmers and many other professions also.

Gary[/quote]
Ah, I see now. :smile:

mdettweiler 2008-01-24 01:01

We've decided not to do a third LLRnet server after all--two is enough for a small project such as this, as well as enough work for Carlos. :smile: So, we won't do a Sierp. Base 6 LLRnet server unless we decide to switch over one of the other two servers sometime in the future.