mersenneforum.org

mersenneforum.org (https://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   More bother (https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23221)

paulunderwood 2018-04-03 15:42

More bother

My main desktop computer started playing up. It began last summer with it being difficult to boot. Then a few days ago I had similar problems, but worse. After an update from Debian today it just would not boot. The symptoms were random instability and when I finally got to Grub I got immediate kernel panics. The BIOS would not register voltage changes nor things like XMP, even after a flash to the latest BIOS. I tried removing the battery temporarily. I switched PSUs. All no go. In the end I ordered a new motherboard for my Haswell, but it being a H81 chipset I am not sure I will get the most out of my 2400MHz DDR3. :sad:

Mark Rose 2018-04-03 15:57

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;484158]My main desktop computer started playing up. It began last summer with it being difficult to boot. Then a few days ago I had similar problems, but worse. After an update from Debian today it just would not boot. The symptoms were random instability and when I finally got to Grub I got immediate kernel panics. The BIOS would not register voltage changes nor things like XMP, even after a flash to the latest BIOS. I tried removing the battery temporarily. I switched PSUs. All no go. In the end I ordered a new motherboard for my Haswell, but it being a H81 chipset I am not sure I will get the most out of my 2400MHz DDR3. :sad:[/QUOTE]

You'll be capped at DDR3-1600. Z87/97 boards are getting rare.

paulunderwood 2018-04-04 11:34

[QUOTE=Mark Rose;484160]You'll be capped at DDR3-1600. Z87/97 boards are getting rare.[/QUOTE]

I canceled my order for an H81 board and ordered a Z87 instead :smile:

paulunderwood 2018-04-05 22:44

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;484257]I canceled my order for an H81 board and ordered a Z87 instead :smile:[/QUOTE]

I cancelled the Z87 board too. I took out the processor and put it back in and it works! It must have been a contraction-expansion problem. :smile:

kladner 2018-04-06 01:25

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;484465]I cancelled the Z87 board too. I took out the processor and put it back in and it works! It must have been a contraction-expansion problem. :smile:[/QUOTE]
It is always good to hear of a simple fix! Kudos! :tu:

paulunderwood 2018-06-21 12:01

My Haswell system started playing up again after a scheduled shutdown. Same old symptoms -- there was rarely a signal to the video and the BIOS would not allow me to retain any settings, apart from date and time. This time I replaced the motherboard's battery and that made all the difference. :smile:

paulunderwood 2018-11-21 13:19

My dodgy Haswell+MSI board would not boot after a debian update. It was set for reclamation until this morning when I tried a nvidia 710 in it and hey presto it is back doing useful crunching. However, I wonder if the defective board will ruin the graphics card :ermm:

NookieN 2018-11-21 15:57

Were you using Intel gfx before, or a different gfx card?

paulunderwood 2018-11-21 16:36

[QUOTE=NookieN;500670]Were you using Intel gfx before, or a different gfx card?[/QUOTE]

I was using the onboard intel graphics. The last symptoms before I put in the pcie card was no video signal but the keyboard responded to ctrl+alt+del. Even now it is not remembering its BIOS settings, apart from date.

paulunderwood 2018-11-29 17:52

[QUOTE=paulunderwood;500677]I was using the onboard intel graphics. The last symptoms before I put in the pcie card was no video signal but the keyboard responded to ctrl+alt+del. Even now it is not remembering its BIOS settings, apart from date.[/QUOTE]

I finally got the board working 100% after another Debian update forced a reboot, which would get to GRUB, but panicked the kernel. With the battery in I shorted the clear CMOS jumpers for 10 seconds. Now I can set the RAM to 2400MHz. :cool:

paulunderwood 2019-01-30 13:46

The MSI board finally gave up the ghost -- after a necessary software update reboot process -- and I replaced it with a Asus Q87 chipset one. Unfortunately, I can get the 2400MHz RAM working only at 1333MHz. Hopefully my troubles are over for a while and I can get on with crunching some prime candidates :geek: